Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Sep, 2017
2017-9-9 3:02:10 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
Wow thank you do much for all the attentive answers! The problem is that I love all of them and even find the Uncorrected Proofs and Salesman Dummy copies elegant in their own ways!

Having collected Star Wars action figures and modern & contemporary artworks, I know that Proofs, prototypes, and artist proofs carry a substantial value relative to the regular edition ones. Assuming that all lines of Tolkien books are depreciating in value, wouldn't the Uncirculated Proofs carry the most value amongst the other two because its rarity and accounting for the fact that it is part of the earliest stage of the book production?

I am most inclined to get the Proof, but what I am concerned about is its pricing. I know that the other Proofs in "good" condition with library stamp, tapes, and other flaws were sold for
$280 as recent as weeks ago. The one I am trying to acquire is in a "very good" condition, but it is being sold for $750 or so. Is the price reasonable for a proof at this condition? Please help!

They aren't "Uncirculated Proofs" in the sense of stamps. They are often just poorly printed (low quality paper, mistakes, bound in heavy coloured paper) copies of the book distributed as advanced review copies. I have a couple (not Silmarillion), and I wouldn't personally pay a lot of money for them (well not for any of the American editions, anyway).

In the case of the Silmarillion or HoME they are clearly going to be worth quite a bit more than the regular edition (based on novelty factor), but bear in mind that the regular editions are worth essentially nothing (£10). I've seen a few US HoME proof copies sell over the years and $250 seems to have been the kind of price (based on memory, which may be flawed).

I would personally get the Methuen edition rather than a US Uncorrected Proof, but you really need to just buy what takes your fancy. I wouldn't personally pay USD 750 for a Silmarillion Proof, but I don't think anyone can really tell you what it is worth -- the market (buyers and sellers) is small, so the price is simply what a buyer and seller happen to agree on on the day. If the money is spare and you don't care too much about ease of resale, go for it. If you think you may need to recover what you spent, then obviously that's a risk.

Whatever you buy, don't forget to share pictures :)
11 Sep, 2017
2017-9-11 6:07:27 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: catstarbuck
(3863)
Ended Sep 14, 2017
This item ended more than 90 days ago

Hey guys! Long time no see! I am back, missed you all :)

Somebody put Silmarillion Dummy Copy for sale.

I think that the price is a little bit harsh though.
11 Sep, 2017
2017-9-11 10:29:21 PM UTC
The price of that is very silly.
12 Sep, 2017
2017-9-12 10:18:02 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

They aren't "Uncirculated Proofs" in the sense of stamps. They are often just poorly printed (low quality paper, mistakes, bound in heavy coloured paper) copies of the book distributed as advanced review copies. I have a couple (not Silmarillion), and I wouldn't personally pay a lot of money for them (well not for any of the American editions, anyway).

In the case of the Silmarillion or HoME they are clearly going to be worth quite a bit more than the regular edition (based on novelty factor), but bear in mind that the regular editions are worth essentially nothing (£10). I've seen a few US HoME proof copies sell over the years and $250 seems to have been the kind of price (based on memory, which may be flawed).

I would personally get the Methuen edition rather than a US Uncorrected Proof, but you really need to just buy what takes your fancy. I wouldn't personally pay USD 750 for a Silmarillion Proof, but I don't think anyone can really tell you what it is worth -- the market (buyers and sellers) is small, so the price is simply what a buyer and seller happen to agree on on the day. If the money is spare and you don't care too much about ease of resale, go for it. If you think you may need to recover what you spent, then obviously that's a risk.

Whatever you buy, don't forget to share pictures :)

You are king amongst men. Thank you very much for the informative post.

I also inquired Pieter, the owner of Tolkienlibrary.com and he said of the similar things. I guess great minds think alike? :)

I decided to purchase the copy bound for Melthuen publication! I am very excited!

Lokki wrote:
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: catstarbuck
(3863)
Ended Sep 14, 2017
This item ended more than 90 days ago

Hey guys! Long time no see! I am back, missed you all :)

Somebody put Silmarillion Dummy Copy for sale.

I think that the price is a little bit harsh though.

Thank you for letting me know! I have been watching this copy for some times now, but I do agree that the price is ridiculous at the moment.
12 Sep, 2017
2017-9-12 11:11:22 AM UTC
There was a US seller selling both a US proof copy & a UK dummy copy a few months back. Both were re-listed multiple times due to failure to sell; both had "Best offer" options so I can only conclude there was very little interest in these copies for the price they were listed at.

I have no note that the proof sold, but the dummy eventually looked like (it's possible a lower price was accepted, not sure) it was sold for Buy-it-now $399 (~£303) in late July; it looked liked a pretty sharp copy.

I'd say that price is pretty typical (possibly a little high) for a dummy copy. The proof was listed for about the same price. Surprised that it didn't sell, but I guess people probably value most US editions of Tolkien lower, regardless of rarity/scarcity.

So there are copies out there. And it's a buyers market, so haggle.

BH
12 Sep, 2017
2017-9-12 5:37:39 PM UTC
Thank you everyone for your posts, they are always very insightful and helpful! I will keep watching that item and hope for a more reasonable price :). It is great to be back!
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 4:54:51 PM UTC

Lokki wrote:
Thank you everyone for your posts, they are always very insightful and helpful! I will keep watching that item and hope for a more reasonable price :). It is great to be back!

Oh no! It seems like you already purchased this copy! Hopefully not as much as the original listed price? :)
16 Sep, 2017
2017-9-16 4:55:22 PM UTC
Unfortunately I did not. It was to expensive for my taste:) Waiting for a new chance!
14 Oct, 2017
2017-10-14 11:02:40 AM UTC
Thank you very much everyone for the sage advice!

I decided to forego on the US Uncorrected Proof and have purchased Methuen Silmarillion.

I was so amazed of Methuen's Silmarillion, that I actually purchased another set to add as my collection :)

Oh by the way, I also purchased Salesman Dummy's.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us