I have spent hours looking through eBay and Abebooks.com, looking for books in "fine" pristine condition.

I have purchased half-dozen books in a period of two weeks and of the four that I have received till today, two of their conditions were subpar with "tear" present on dust jacket.

It just makes me furious that the sellers posted these books' conditions as "fine" or in "pristine" conditions. (Beren and Luthien signed copy and 1st Edition 1st Impression the Silmarillion) when even through novice's eyes, they are hardly in "fine" condition.

I suppose I can leave negative feedback and ask for returns, but since these books are of mediocre value, I am too lazy to spend another $50 dollars to ship these books back and start the claim process which will deprive me of another significant chunk of my time and brain cells.

I have collected artworks, Star Wars action figures, and movie prop replicas. When these items were shipped, they always came with the condition as described, all mint and beautiful. Also, as for rare sports memorabilia cards or action figures, I collect "graded" figures as in, they come in hardcase plastics provided by the grading authorities, making these items nearly impossible to be damaged (maybe except the UV sun damage) during the shipment.

But as for collecting books, there are so many variables that factor into books' conditions, starting from fragile dust jacket to slight bump or scratches, molding, and etc.

I am a perfectionist and I nearly cringed my eyes and feinted upon seeing these "scratches" and indentations on the dust jacket that was described as "excellent."

Am I suppose to buy at least a dozen First Edition Silmarillion that are described by sellers as "fine" in condition, in order to find a SINGLE decent "fine" condition copy?

At this point, I feel like I am playing a lottery. As a newcomer to this noble hobby, this is very disheartening and frustrating.