remy
7 hours 17 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Is Collecting Books This Hard?
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
The Antiquarian, I wonder if we know each other. I also collected vintage Star Wars toys and various other things. And now you know why third party grading is so popular in vintage toys, comics, coins, etc. I am about 2-3 years into the book hobby and find myself continuously disappointed as well. New books don't even come in mint condition because sellers pack them so poorly.

I have been looking for one of these for some time now.

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=62330

I bought one and the slipcase was damaged structurally. Returned. I am trying to finish this set because one of my first major purchases was this set

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=43400

Despite asking repeatedly about spine rubbing (which is so common you can even see it here) and being told repeatedly it was perfect, well, it was not. Better than most I had seen offered but still some slight rubbing.

Posted on: 9/13 19:17:12

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
So let's put this out there for discussion then: why do you seek these perfect, unmarked copies? Why do you not want to own books that show signs of wear &/or previous ownership? I can guess the answer(s), but curious nonetheless...

BH

Posted on: 9/14 2:52:23

Shirrif
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Khamûl wrote:
So let's put this out there for discussion then: why do you seek these perfect, unmarked copies? Why do you not want to own books that show signs of wear &/or previous ownership? I can guess the answer(s), but curious nonetheless...

BH

I prefer books to be in fine condition if possible, just because they are more visually appealing. And realistically, the only point of collecting lots of editions of the same book is because they are nice to look at (coupled with the fun of the chase, I guess). If you *can* find a fine copy and it doesn't cost any more than a not so good copy, why would you buy anything other than the fine one, unless you were in a particular hurry?

I do think there is a point where one can be too fanatical, though -- books are made from materials that age and expecting anything different is probably a road to disappointment. I see people who keep their books in shrinkwrap and I think "really, what is the point?".

Posted on: 9/14 3:18:04

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
As my favourite Tolkien book is The Hobbit, which is a children's book, and if I only looked to find early copies (first to fourth editions) in unread or mint condition, I would not have many or indeed any copies in my collection.

Books are intended to be read and often were, and as such they probably have condition issues.

As a book collector, I have accepted this.

Posted on: 9/14 6:33:13

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Surely there are exceptions and for these early editions it isn't an either or thing. You buy the copy you can afford basically. But for books that aren't particularly rare that were largely made to be collected (like the editions I linked to above) the expectation is that they weren't read, maybe thumbed through, but that's it. How many people use the COH SD for their reading copy?

Speaking of early editions, anyone following the sets offered on Heritage this month? I'd love to hear opinions on the first, first Hobbit, especially the restored jacket.

Posted on: 9/14 7:08:55

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]