Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 May, 2007
2007-5-21 1:35:32 AM UTC
Yes, it is strange that the black quarter-bound books do not match. Even within the History of Middle Earth set they do not match in height. Personally, I have a third print of LotR, second print of The Hobbit, and first of the Silmarillion, so at least the slipcases match in their faux leather covering.

I love leather bound books, but the Harper Collins books do have the tendency to fray at the pont where the leather meets cloth. I would love to see some full leather editions made again, similar to the super deluxe ones from the 1980's. That said, I again agree with Deagol that the new deluxe editions 'work' better together. I do have the one small gripe about there being no circular window in the CoH slipcase, but that is minor.
21 May, 2007
2007-5-21 7:30:44 AM UTC
what i cannot understand at all is that when you put the three deluxe next to each other the logo and text are not on the same hight. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings have the logo on exact the same height, the CoH has the logo a bit higher then should be... also the text are not on the same line. This is a detail that would make the SET really look great. Sad they forgot to align the logo and text this time. The hole indeed is not there but you do not see that when they are on the shelves...
Also the paper used for The Lord of the Rings is very white, ... i like the US deluxe edition better there, since white paper always tend to give me a headache when reading.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us