Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 Jan, 2008
2008-1-1 6:39:05 PM UTC
Wow! Lots of questions Tom! And answering them could delve us all into Bibliophilic overdrive.

[Some thoughts on collecting...]

First of all I (personally) think you have to collect (or at least start to collect...) what you read. If you read & like Tolkien -collect Tolkien. If you don't read (or like) Harry Potter -don't start collecting it. When you've been collecting for years, your collecting tastes may evolve into something quite different; but I think this is good place to start.

Like any collecting -collect what you want; its not about what anyone else wants to collect -its about what you want to collect. You can be sure of one thing in regards to Tolkien collecting anyway -somebody somewhere will (in all likelyhood) be collecting in the same area as you (mabey not though!)

In the eyes of most people (this company excluded) your already a total geek for liking tolkien anyway! Wait to you tell them you have more than one copy of the same book! or 50 copies of the same book! or hundreds of calendars!

Also, you have your whole life to collect books (or anything else) if you choose to; there's no rush (is there?); and certainly no apparent end in sight even for those with a massive collection and years of collecting behind them.

Most people have a focus for their collection; an area they're particularly interested in. If you collect books generally, Tolkien might be your special area of interest. Within Tolkien collecting you may focus in any number of areas: primary works; only hardbacks; only one title (LotRs); signed books; illustrated books etc etc -whatever.

The aim of this (I think what drives those of us who collect) is to be able to (at least in theory) see a 'complete' collection in this area. Having some focus within an area at least (subconciously) limits you to only collecting within it; and ultimately sets some boundaries on spending.

Ain't got time to finish this (and Rowns has bound in with a fair bit while I was mid-typing this!)

BH
1 Jan, 2008
2008-1-1 7:05:47 PM UTC
Thank you for the advice, I have and will continue only to collect Tolkien. At least thats my plan, this is a bit off book collecting but......

7) Have any of you ever herd of The lord of the rings Strategy Battle Game?

BACK TO BOOKS

8) Where can I find a list of UK LOTR paper backs?

Thanks for the replies

-Tom
1 Jan, 2008
2008-1-1 7:39:12 PM UTC
For the Strategy Battle Game, I think you are talking about this one?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/28805

Looks like I need some help doing an update on the miniatures section of the Guide. (https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=Miniatures

For UK books, your best bet is definitely http://www.tolkienbooks.net
1 Jan, 2008
2008-1-1 8:00:48 PM UTC
I happen to be a big fan of the lord of the rings battle strategy game.
I know quite a bit about it, and collect the figures regularly, my favorite aspect is making dioramas/displays, they are similar to train boards ect
I would fully recommend it, as it truly brings middle-earth alive!
(If you need any help info wise let me know)

Tolkienbooks.net is excellent as I have said before, but the site doesn't have any information on paperbacks!?!
1 Jan, 2008
2008-1-1 8:07:24 PM UTC
If you can put together a list of the sets/expansions/figurines, etc. that go with the game, that would be a great start.

http://www.tolkienbooks.net has pretty much all of the paperbacks, they are interspersed with the hardcovers based on when they were released. Here is an example:

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=45700
1 Jan, 2008
2008-1-1 8:18:13 PM UTC
If you can put together a list of the sets/expansions/figurines, etc. that go with the game, that would be a great start.

I would love to contribute to this website! It may take some time its not so much a walk in the park.

I should have looked closer

-Tom
2 Jan, 2008
2008-1-2 1:09:34 AM UTC
After brooding unhappily for several hours, I decided to post my pains.
Once again I have experienced the pains of failing to acquire something on ebay. The auction I am about to link ended literally seconds before I could "buy it now". I was viewing the page and I clicked "buy it now" and it was already sold. Moments after I had finished reading the details and consulting Tolkienguide.us (less than a minute maybe) the item was bought. Imagine having the rush of excitement and pleasure coursing through your veins; then in a single instant it cut short. I have lost auctions before that I have bid on, and I was of course disappointed at the time, but never have I clicked "buy it now" to discover that I have been beaten. When you bid on any item you know that there is a great possibility that you will be out bid, but having the feeling of all certainty ripped from you, was a new ebay experience for me. I admit I swore loudly, and was quite angry with the buyer, but now I come here for your opinions on the item up for auction.

I am under the impression that a Ballantine Silver Jubilee Edition in great condition was a steal of a deal for 20.00usd

Here is the ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

When deciding to buy it in the one minute after I read the description, Tolkienguide.us influenced my decision a bit.

TOLKIENGUIDE.US PROFILE FOR SET

Ballantine Silver Jubilee Edition, 1981-1985
Cover illustrations by Darrell K. Sweet
The "Silver Jubilee" set commemorating the 25th anniversary of the release of The Lord of the Rings was boxed in the gold "Heraldry" slipcase. These books were also boxed in a golden brown slipcase with matching artwork. Newly revised editions of The Hobbit and Fellowship were released (Jan82, Mar84) in these covers, and the print numbers were started over with one(1). Ballantine has stopped labeling each print year with its own book number, and the box ISBNs are the first searchable numbers found for mass market PB sets thus far. The SBNs for The Hobbit were issued 1981 and 1984. Many databases have image or date errors regarding this increasingly sought after set.
ISBN: 0345296052, 0345296060, 0345296087
Hobbit: 0345296044
1985 ISBN: 0345332083, 0345332105, 0345332091
Hobbit: 0345318587
Box 1983: 0345195299 Box 1984: 0345296079

What are your thoughts? Was it a sore loss? Was it really a bad deal? Was I saved from 20 dollars down the drain? Or did I miss a good opportunity

Thanks for reading and replying

-Tom
2 Jan, 2008
2008-1-2 10:23:47 PM UTC
Hello Tom,

Welcome to Tolkien collecting!

I think everybody has missed out on something they really wanted on eBay. I missed out on one of the first 500 boxed LOTR sets ever issued (from 1957) before Christmas – I am still very sore about it even now…!

Rowns is the man to ask about U.S. paperback prices, but $20 for a good condition boxed set sounds ok to me.

The advice from Khamul and Parmastahir on collecting is very sound, have a good look around before really get going. I started out by trying to get a copy of every book he wrote, and just went on from there.

These three pages should help you with identifying first editions:

firsteditionpoints.com

booksellerworld.com

booklibris.com

TolkienBooks.net is my baby - I am glad that you like it!

For the most part it only covers British editions, so Ace Books, Ballantine Books and Houghton Mifflin editions do not appear. The best online source for information on American editions is probably the U.S. Tolkien Guide.

[That said, I am researching the whole Ace Books ‘Pirate Edition’ episode at the moment, so there will be an article at TolkienBooks.net at some stage that will give lots of information about the Ace and Ballantine editions.]

Much of the information known about the Ace and Ballantine editions comes from Wayne Hammond’s Tolkien Bibliography. It is an expensive book, but very useful. Your local library might be able to order it for you to have out on loan for a while - have a look through it before you buy.

Ace Books - There were 150,000 copies of each of the 3 volumes of LOTR printed and there were no reprints.

Ballantine – The number of copies of the first printing is unknown, but 125,000 copies of each volume were printed in the U.S. and another 10,000 in Canada by 17 January 1966. There had been 40 printings by 1973.

Houghton Mifflin – Print quantities for early printings of the HM LOTR can be found at TolkienBooks.net.

If you want to know more about print quantities for U.S. editions of Tolkien's other books, then Hammond’s bibliography is a must.
2 Jan, 2008
2008-1-2 10:55:50 PM UTC
Thank you for that advice.

Its too bad about that auction you missed, but I bet it sold for a tidy sum when it all was over.

I happen to love your website, one thing I am disappointed about is that there isn't really a rarity estimate on the books. Obviously everything is worth different price depending on the buyer, but it would be nice to have a ballpark rarity range to know if you are being scammed. Aside from that I was the most informative site I have seen so far.

Thanks for replying

-Tom
3 Jan, 2008
2008-1-3 12:38:13 PM UTC
Hi Tom -

Please do not agonize over that set. There is no doubt in my mind WHATSOEVER that another will show up. Consider that auction a deposit in your eBay bank of experience. You now know that it was worth at least $20 to someone out there. My goal would now be to get it for less than that! Good luck!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us