Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Feb, 2008
2008-2-9 12:24:29 PM UTC
I think this was just a bit of a mis-understanding / confusion on behalf of a few bidders.

As such, this is not quite a limited edition of 100 copies (There were one or two previous 'Limited' Editions). Thorton's are actually the publishers (Wim Meeuws) and the booklet is currently 'in print' and available.

I believe there were two other limited edition print runs (One being 250 copies and the other 50). I am not sure which was the first print run (possibly the 250 print run).

The current print run of 100 copies is not numbered. The earlier 250 print run is numbered on the back cover. I don't have one from the print run of 50 copies (if this exists - I belive from a previous conversation with Wim, that some/most/all of these may have been lost when he moved).

If the final bid were for a copy of the Numbered 250 Copy Limited Run, it may indeed reflect an appropriate price. I did see another copy (of the 250 print run) sell for somewhere around £60 last year on Ebay.

I hope I have most of the above information correct (not 100% on all of it, but I think it is mostly right).
9 Feb, 2008
2008-2-9 2:12:51 PM UTC
Thanks for that remy. Well, don't I feel a fool! I was very much one of the confused bidders!

I personally wondered at the lack of 'limited' claim in most of the ABE & Amazon items I pointed out. However if this copy (the Ebay one) was indeed one of the numbered (of 250) copies, it seems unlikely the seller would positively state that their copy was 1 of 100 (... I think...); unless of course they had missed that mention at the back and were referencing from elsewhere.

So are you saying the priority was...
1 of 50; probably all lost
1 of 250; clearly marked as such
1 of 100; not indicated

Assuming the one sold was (as stated) 1 of 100, that would be the same variant/printing that Thornton's are currently listing (which their not really listing anymore, as I just bought it) for £6.

Hmmm... I clearly just bought the latest printing then. Nice content all the same. Still think dunedain8 was stung if the listing is accurate though... Although I clearly have no clue as to what I'm talking about in respect to this publication...

BH
9 Feb, 2008
2008-2-9 2:37:52 PM UTC
I am not 100% sure of the Priority. Deagol may have a better idea. I would guess that the 250 Limited Numbered Run was the real First Printing.

The reason being is that a few years ago, Wim had one of the 50 Print Run for sale which I tried to purchase. But upon ordering, he informed me that about moving and losing the booklets. That was sometime in 2005 I think. So I would guess that the 250 Print Run is the First Run as the last ones available for sale (before the current 100 run) was from the 50 print run. Hope that makes sense!!! But as I mentioned, I may not be 100% correct. I am using a bit of guesswork.

I would be pretty certain that the one on Ebay was from the latest print run of 100 copies and indeed a rare mistake by dunedain8.

Still, it is a great item for those interested in the Publication History of Tolkien/The Lord of the Rings.
9 Feb, 2008
2008-2-9 4:22:34 PM UTC
...indeed a rare mistake by dunedain8.

He he he... even the big guns make mistakes. Incidentally, anyone know who dunedain8 is?; doesn't post here?

Deagol -any firm idea of priority?

BH
9 Feb, 2008
2008-2-9 5:17:32 PM UTC
dunedain8 is David Miller (The Tolkien Bookshelf at ABEBooks). Also one of the sellers that lists with Beren at tolkienlibrary.com.

He's certainly aware of this site, but I don't think he posts.
9 Feb, 2008
2008-2-9 5:55:42 PM UTC
There is a catalogue called Tolkien and Friends issued by Thorntons in 1992. This refers to a "limited edition of 276 copies, 250 copies numbered 1 - 250 for sale and 26 copies marked A - Z for private distribution by the author and the publisher."

I would think that this is the first printing, with the 50 copies being later.

I have an email from Thorntons dated 22/12/2005 asking if anybody can supply a photocopy of the booklet as Wim had no copy but wanted to issue a Second Edition.
10 Feb, 2008
2008-2-10 10:01:25 AM UTC
[Rowns] David Miller; yes, okay, we've heard of him (sure I'd probably noted that particular ebay=seller somewhere!) -thanks for that. [Deagol] Thanks. One of 250 (preceded by the lettered copies of course) very much the 1rst appearance then; with one of 100 the likely 2nd (or 3rd) run.

BH
10 Feb, 2008
2008-2-10 11:03:48 AM UTC
How can you distinguish between them?
10 Feb, 2008
2008-2-10 11:08:24 AM UTC
The First Edition of 250 are numbered on the Back Cover. The Latest Edition of 100 Copies are not numbered at all. I will have a look later to see if there are any other differences.
10 Feb, 2008
2008-2-10 12:09:57 PM UTC
Thanks for that, remy. Alas, my copy is hidden away; but I will make a note of this for when I can get it out.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us