Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Peeta
Just can't stay away

farmer giles of ham sticker

8 Apr, 2008
2008-4-8 8:38:57 PM UTC

i just bought a fourth impression FGoH with a fifth impression dj. there is a sticker on the dj that reads 12s.6d.net George Allen and Unwin, is this common? I could not find any information on this, thanks for your time.
8 Apr, 2008
2008-4-8 9:20:45 PM UTC
I happened across the answer to this question the last time I visited the A&U archive.

The Allen & Unwin and Houghton Mifflin copies were printed and bound at the same time in the U.K. The only difference between the two editions is that the Houghton Mifflin copies have the price on the front flap of the dj in dollars rather than shillings.

Due to a mistake by the binder, 2,000 A&U copies were sent to the U.S. instead of 2,000 HM copies. The cheapest solution was to re-price each dj. I guess A&U opted to use stickers rather than clip them.

If you could supply a photo or scan that would be great.

I think that the impression number on the dj is a slip by A&U - 3rd Impression copies usually come in a 4th Impression dj, and 4th Impression copies come in a 5th Impression dj.
9 Apr, 2008
2008-4-9 3:24:06 AM UTC
here is a scan of the dj, there seems to be no price printed on it (under the sticker)

151_47fc36616c61d.jpg 640X465 px

151_47fc36710d4f3.jpg 640X465 px
9 Apr, 2008
2008-4-9 5:35:03 AM UTC
i used a scanner to take these pictures, i have a camera that can take much better pictures if you would like them for other posting reasons. also i would like to say thanks for all the help with the HoME specifications. i just bought a UK BoLT 1 1st/1st with the A&U sticker for 32GBP (the book looks to be in great condition) which i'm very excited about. just wanted to say you guys are great, it was extremely helpful to know what to look for as far as price (~worth) and the issue of the sticker, thanks a bunch!
10 Apr, 2008
2008-4-10 7:14:10 PM UTC
Deagol, i was looking through your reply and looking at the other FGoH dust jackets in my collection, and from what i can gather all the dj should have a price in dollars, shillings, or pounds. is there any explanation for this dj not having a printed price at all? thanks again for your time, i appreciate it very much.
11 Apr, 2008
2008-4-11 9:34:31 PM UTC
The lack of a printed price does seem odd.
It is only a guess but A&U may have printed some unpriced jackets after the wrong copies were sent to the U.S.
At the moment I have 3rd and 8th Impression copies but nothing inbetween, so it is hard to check.
Does anybody else have copies of FG from the mid-1960s? It would interesting to know what the dj on the 1966 Impression looks like.
26 May, 2012
2012-5-26 5:32:01 PM UTC
hi deagol. i was browsing through some old threads and came across this one. i pulled out the book in question and inspected the dj. and indeed under the A&U sticker the is the printed price of $3.00. kind of interesting as this is the only book in my collection (to my knowledge) that has a sticker placed over a printed price.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us