Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 Dec, 2006
2006-12-11 10:24:59 PM UTC
I'm having a similar problem with the CraigsList advertising feed in the Links section. Gave up on fixing that for a while, may remove it entirely.

How's signatures looking now?
11 Dec, 2006
2006-12-11 10:31:54 PM UTC
Signatures look great! RSS is cool but there are so many things that can go wrong. There should be ways to make sure it is more conform... and when a mistake is inside (by typing for example a little strange letter or an accent) and the feed does not validate, all you get is errors or nothing. I think RSS feeds are the future, i just wished they would be a bitter more flexible and conform sometimes.

I tried several feed readers and never managed to get the feed from ebay inside my reader.
12 Dec, 2006
2006-12-12 10:49:51 PM UTC
Still poking at getting something readable out of TolkienLibrary.com.

Hey Deagol, any interest in generating an RSS feed for TolkienBooks.net? I'd love to automatically get your site update messages...
13 Dec, 2006
2006-12-13 12:09:00 AM UTC
I must admit that I know absolutely nothing about how RSS works.

My hosting package doesn't include RSS feeds. I'm going to be upgrading or moving to a new host after Christmas, so will try to do something then.

At the moment I am preoccupied with LotR prnt runs and binding orders - even ebay isn't getting much of a look in!
13 Dec, 2006
2006-12-13 1:56:36 AM UTC
It needs a bit more tweaking on my end, but how does the homepage look now Deagol? Added a very simple RSS generator off your history page (if we work together we can make this really clean.)

Let me know if you like this or not.

Looks like it is basically working now. As long as your history page updates don't change format too much, it should automatically grab your new additions.

(feel free to contact me over email if you want to spruce it up a bit. If we play with your html code a tiny bit on that page, I can get the description as well as the main header for each update)
13 Dec, 2006
2006-12-13 11:46:42 PM UTC
Excellent!
I will have to read up on RSS to see what I have been missing out on.

My hosting company has just added RSS feeds to my package, so I will try to reciprocate when I get my head around the set up.

I will email you about sorting out my code - thanks for the offer!
14 Dec, 2006
2006-12-14 8:29:56 AM UTC
Wow... if you have one i'll add your feed to my site also... we will be connected! Very nice!!
27 Feb, 2007
2007-2-27 11:41:28 AM UTC
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/news/rss.php

I have updated my feed and now it is working much better! It now has a link towards the correct full article and also the order has been changed so now always the latest news item will appear on top. I think this one will be much more usefull. Could you test it out??
27 Feb, 2007
2007-2-27 4:25:36 PM UTC
Very nice, my (rather hacky) reader seems to like it much better now. It looks like it displays just fine on TCG.

Do people find this module useful? I like seeing what Deagol and Beren are doing, and could add more pages to the list if it seems worthwhile.
27 Feb, 2007
2007-2-27 5:43:56 PM UTC
I turned on the Tolkien Online tab in the Main Menu - it is a full page RSS section, gathering news headlines, etc. Have a blog, website, or other source you want me to track in there?

Unfortunately my HTML to RSS hack for Tolkienbooks.net does not date-stamp Deagol's updates correctly, so they end up at the bottom of the list.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us