Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 Aug, 2008
2008-8-11 6:16:47 PM UTC
Sounds good. Don't know about later impressions specifically lacking particular features; but vol's 1-4 (first impressions) have dyed top page edges.

Interestingly Andy at ADCbooks states that a copy of BoLTs I 1rst/1rst passed through his hands without dye; and that this was as issued (i.e. no sign of faded dye under scrutiny with magnifying glass.) Which all sounds perfectly possible with HoME...

BH
12 Aug, 2008
2008-8-12 12:29:18 AM UTC
>....Which all sounds perfectly possible with HoME...

Yes, the HoME books seem to be a law unto themselves with regards to consistency. For instance, I have two GA&U 3rd impressions of BoLT1 (which were simply extras acquired when purchasing a couple of lots of books -- and I have never gotten around to selling on). Copy 1 is printed by Mackeys and is listed as "Third impression 1984". Copy 2 - also printed by Mackeys - is listed as "Third impression 1983" (and also lists the second impression, which copy 1 does not). Given the same book, printer and publisher - this seems kind of confusing! Now I think about it, I'm also pretty sure that I have seen at least one top stained BoLT2 second impression on eBay (despite mine having no top stain).

Stu
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us