6 hours 24 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

I Need Info
Just popping in
From Westfield, Vermont
Group:
Shirefolk
I Was going through some assorted textiles I had purchased recently and found an Irish Linen map: There and Back Again a Map of
Bilbo's Journey Through Eriador and Rhovanion Bottom left hand Corner says Irish Linen Copywright 1971 George Allen and Unwin LTD Design JRR Tolkien/Pauline Baynes Bottom Right Jonelle. I would love any Information on this Map as I have an interested buyer but no clue of Its worth Please Help.

Posted on: 2008/8/15 13:44

Re: I Need Info
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
o wow... count me in as interested buyer as well... I know exactly what this is and where it comes from, why it was made and how rare it is! I own one such map already and would honestly be very interested in obtaining another one...

Please mail me at info@tolkienlibrary.com .

So... now about the explanation. This is the Pauline Baynes map and this piece is known as the rare Pauline Baynes / Tolkien Middle Earth Tea Towel. This Tea Towel was 1st commissioned in 1971 and distributed to personnel of George Allen & Unwin, on a celebration (don't remember exactly what it was about). But it is clear Tolkien was there, since I read in an (unpublished) letter he himself had received such a teatowel at the 'party' or 'meeting' and was very happy with it.

Don't know if it was ever mass produced after that, but don't think so. It is Irish linen and very high quality overal.

Posted on: 2008/8/15 13:54

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi Miranda (and Beren),

I'm also very interested - mostly for the Guide though! Could either of you provide scans/images of this so I can officially add it to the database?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/8/15 13:57

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
don't see any images... still I did sent some to Rowns myself, if you sent yours also, then he could add it. Anyways, Miranda, I'm very interested in the towel!

Posted on: 2008/8/15 14:28

Just popping in
From Poland
Group:
Shirefolk
Hi,

If you don't have any photo tool program like IrfanView32 then maybe just upload here http://imageshack.us/ and give us a link

Posted on: 2008/8/15 14:30

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]