« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Tolkien signature
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I have emailed the Auction House to express the concerns about this particular item shown in this thread, but as it is 10 minutes from my office, I will go and see them tomorrow to make sure that they are aware of the problems with the item.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 11:57

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Christina and I also e-mailed the auction house, last night, pointing them to the Maggs and ABE pages, but have not had a reply.

Wayne

Posted on: 2008/10/8 12:27

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
This is very worrysome. I'm going to seek contact, try to find hold of the person who originally showed me the items, and see what he comes up with an explanation. This 'new' letter is very closely linked to the other papers and are probably 'made' by the same person. I'm going to digg into this a little and see what I can come up with.

Also I have seen some of these 'blue pen' autographs before and will digg through my (past sales) archive if I can find any that also can be linked to this case.

I'm glad I handle a policy never to buy typed letters. Since otherwhise I would have ended up buying some of these items a long time ago.

Currently David Miller owns the two abe books singed items, and I wonder if he also holds this letter (but it would surprise me). He can tell me where he bought them and also he should know that he probably bought fakes. The only positive thing is that he recently bought them and there fore must know where from. We must stop this from happening.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 12:42

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I have been gathering images of Tolkien's unpublished and uncollected letters for a couple years now. The letter in question on Maggs, although I do not have the whole letter, for what it's worth, I have two pages from the original, which I can post, if anyone thinks this would be useful. I do not have the "moon-lather" page, unfortunately. I will be e-mailing the person that I obtained one of the images from to try to get a copy of the rest of the letter. (The other image I have was scanned from an auction catalog.) If these items are indeed counterfeit, as many of you seem to believe, I agree with Beren. "We must stop this from happening."

Josh

Posted on: 2008/10/8 18:40

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
To back up a couple of posts: Carl, you're absolutely right. I had noticed the "moon-lather" point myself, but was too tired to follow it up yesterday around 11:00, after a long drive during the day and an hour and a half of presidential debate in the evening.

Christina and I transcribed the real letter by Tolkien to Jennifer Paxman (i.e. Brookes-Smith) at Christie's in 2003, and our notes say that Tolkien correctly wrote "moon-letter".

Wayne

Posted on: 2008/10/8 18:49

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.