Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Nov, 2008
2008-11-28 4:17:30 PM UTC
Sorry I have been so quiet, been a bear at work recently.

I have politely inquired for help through various channels at HC, but haven't heard anything back yet either.

Also, interestingly, the tolkien.co.uk store is gone again, with a page saying that it will be available in December. Appears they are doing a relaunch, or at least a rework of the site. Perhaps the issue will be addressed on the new FAQ.
28 Nov, 2008
2008-11-28 8:27:50 PM UTC
It's actually the like of communication from HC that irritates me more than anything. My email to them was perfectly courteous and (thus far) hasn't even merited a response. All they really needed to say was something to the effect of "Yep, we screwed up on the FAQ - you can return the books if you like and we will pick up the postage, plus we'll sort out the FAQ ASAP".

It's customer service 101 and just doesn't seem like a hard thing to put right, really. I'm glad to see that they have killed the website, though, as it least that stops anyone else getting stung.
28 Nov, 2008
2008-11-28 9:22:59 PM UTC
Yesterday, my copy has arrived. It looks very good, and the inside (and outside too of course) is of high quality. The pages are quite strong but make it a bit hard to read though... But I'm not going to read in this one!

There was a cut in the envelope, but no damage was made to the book or slipcase because of that.
30 Nov, 2008
2008-11-30 10:21:02 PM UTC
My copy has also arrived this weekend. As I had ordered 'The J.R.R. Tolkien Collection' (the four other Deluxe editions), an Annotated Hobbit and 'The Lord of the Rings Poster Collection 2', a large bagged box arrived - no sign of the Poster Collection however (and I don't think the box was quite large enough for it).

The (rather scarce) information on the labeling however seems to say that the Poster Collection should have been included as well, so I have remonstrated by e-mail. Being thus forced to complain, I've remarked on the absence of numbering in the 'Perilous Realm' as well.
1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 11:27:52 AM UTC
I agree with most of the sentiments expressed. Sensible/courteous email sent; simply no reply. I was more irritated at the 10% discount to be honest, since most collectors had probably ordered before being informed of the offer. Loyalty? Why bother! Nobody would buy through HC's site if these copies were available through Amazon. HC could learn a trick or two from them. At least they respect the value of customers who order early, by giving lowest price etc.

With regard to the numbering; not that bothered at copies physically not being numbered. Just (bothered by) the obvious ability of people to convert standard to exclusive by getting AL to sign their copy. Totally pointless!

They could run off some HC bookplates with numbering, and post them out to us all. I'm sure they still have a log of who ordered first etc, so that the appropriate number could be sent to the correct buyer.

BH
1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 4:21:08 PM UTC

They could run off some HC bookplates with numbering, and post them out to us all. I'm sure they still have a log of who ordered first etc, so that the appropriate number could be sent to the correct buyer.

You should apply at HC

That would be a good solution, but I think HC won't do that. They have their money and for them, that's what counts... Unless they are scared they will lose customers because most books on tolkien.co.uk can be buyed at Amazon, except for the 'exclusive' editions.
And I they mainly aim at Tolkien collectors with their website... Most of them know that the exclusive editions can't be bought somewhere else, so if they really want the edition, they will have to buy it at tolkien.co.uk , whatever the customer service may be...
1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 6:28:54 PM UTC
So, has anyone tried calling them? The phone number is on tolkien.co.uk for customer inquiries: 0844 576 8112

I have a few conversation threads I am pursuing right now, but nothing to report yet.
1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 11:22:31 PM UTC
I thought about calling them, but something Beren told me on another forum has convinced me to wait a few days.
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 11:52:56 AM UTC
Is this something a secret?, or can we have the information posted on this forum? I'm sure it's nothing very exciting, but can we presume that Beren has been informed of some movement on the issue to happen this week perhaps?

BH
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 3:03:03 PM UTC
I have rung today, asked why they ignored my email, no response. Did not seem to know what was happening, the web site has technical difficulties apparently!!!!, asked them to send me a signed and numbered edition, they said they will ring me tomorrow, we will see.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us