Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 4:21:08 PM UTC

They could run off some HC bookplates with numbering, and post them out to us all. I'm sure they still have a log of who ordered first etc, so that the appropriate number could be sent to the correct buyer.

You should apply at HC

That would be a good solution, but I think HC won't do that. They have their money and for them, that's what counts... Unless they are scared they will lose customers because most books on tolkien.co.uk can be buyed at Amazon, except for the 'exclusive' editions.
And I they mainly aim at Tolkien collectors with their website... Most of them know that the exclusive editions can't be bought somewhere else, so if they really want the edition, they will have to buy it at tolkien.co.uk , whatever the customer service may be...
1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 6:28:54 PM UTC
So, has anyone tried calling them? The phone number is on tolkien.co.uk for customer inquiries: 0844 576 8112

I have a few conversation threads I am pursuing right now, but nothing to report yet.
1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 11:22:31 PM UTC
I thought about calling them, but something Beren told me on another forum has convinced me to wait a few days.
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 11:52:56 AM UTC
Is this something a secret?, or can we have the information posted on this forum? I'm sure it's nothing very exciting, but can we presume that Beren has been informed of some movement on the issue to happen this week perhaps?

BH
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 3:03:03 PM UTC
I have rung today, asked why they ignored my email, no response. Did not seem to know what was happening, the web site has technical difficulties apparently!!!!, asked them to send me a signed and numbered edition, they said they will ring me tomorrow, we will see.
3 Dec, 2008
2008-12-3 3:48:25 AM UTC
>..., the web site has technical difficulties apparently!!!!

Technical difficulties is clearly a synonym for it being... ahem... 'rubbish'. As a professional software developer (which I am), I would be ashamed of producing such a buggy ill-thought out site. Assuming the graphics were provided by someone else, a site like that shouldn't take much time to produce. Whoever does their website work is just careless and probably hasn't got much professional experience. Almost certainly a generation Y developer :)....
3 Dec, 2008
2008-12-3 9:23:44 AM UTC
Harper Collins rang me back and said that they were only ever going to be signed editions, not numbered as stated

They acknowledged that the web site was incorrect and apologised for the 'mistake' in the FAQ. They also gave the impression that this issue caused them to take the site down.

They also said that I could have a full refund if I returned the book, but there was nothing else that they could do.
3 Dec, 2008
2008-12-3 10:03:13 AM UTC
HC are evidently going to do nothing about this. Perhaps someone who is on friendly terms with AL (rather than all of us emailing him), could put the case to him regarding the obvious flaw in this 'exclusive' claim from HC; perhaps discuss with him the likelyhood of people asking him to sign copies in the future (he is the illustrater after all); and further, what he would do if this happened. If he could be persuaded not to sign any more, then that would at least help; although I can't see why he would agree to this, or should.

I suspect we'd have to go to someone like David Brawn to argue this case properly. People at HC on the end of the phone are not going to understand (or care) about 'first 500', 'signed & numbered' etc; regardless of whether they claimed this or not.

Could this be put to David Brawn? I'm sure a few other folk have his email address (I have, for one), but Beren seems to be in regular enough contact. And (if he hasn't already done so) we should perhaps just leave it to him. Beren?

BH
3 Dec, 2008
2008-12-3 10:06:14 AM UTC
Did put it to him last week already... will re-send my email once again. No reply yet. But that is not abnormal.
3 Dec, 2008
2008-12-3 10:10:16 AM UTC
Knew you'd be on the case Beren!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us