Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Dec, 2008
2008-12-3 4:05:12 PM UTC
Khamul, what Beren said on another forum (it was a Dutch one), related to my main reason for complaining to HC, namely that The LotR Poster Collection wasn't included in the package. I only added the numbering issue in support of everyone here.

Beren pointed out that the books had been mailed from Sweden (in his case, but mine also were) and added (slightly jocularly) that I should expect the posters to come from Italy. So I decided to wait a couple of days for a second package before phoning. So, no secret at all, but nothing relating to the 'limited numbered edition' issue.

With regard to the latter, I think we can rely on Beren to take up the matter with David Brawn and Alan Lee.

I still have difficulty to take myself seriously as a collector, and I don't really care that much about this issue to become angry. However, I still think HC have come a cropper over this, and I'm behind you in trying to get some acknowledgment out of them. I'd like to see what is going to happen.
7 Dec, 2008
2008-12-7 2:39:39 PM UTC
Being in the US, the signed version was not available to me, so I do not share the same problem with many of you (my book not being 'numbered,' that is). However, I just received my standard deluxe copy from Amazon. It is a nice book, but I even have complaints about this version. It really doesn't quite match the other four deluxe books done in this style. The spine shape is not as rounded as the older ones (it is much flatter with more square edges). At first I thought the spine shape might be due to it being a thicker book than say 'Hobbit' or CoH, but even the very thick LotR from this Deluxe series has a more rounded spine. Also, the slipcase is not trimmed and glued the same way on the inside edge. It looks like this slipcase could come undone more easily around the inner edge (over time). After closer inspection, it appears that HC did indeed change binderies for this book. The old ones were done at L.E.G.O. Spa (Italy), while this one was done at Clays Ltd, St. Ives.

I guess these are pretty minor complaints and I am probably being too scrutinizing. Being an engineer, I tend to be anal about details such as this. When these five books are sitting next to each other, and one doesn't quite fit, it bothers me. This has been the case for years and years, even going back to early first editions of LotR (where the FotR was a different height than the other two), and as with those, I will get over it. The need for HC to change binderies from time to time is 'bound' to happen (no pun intended). Such is the nature of the publishing world, contracts, costs, etc.
7 Dec, 2008
2008-12-7 8:49:02 PM UTC
This has been the case for years and years, even going back to early first editions of LotR (where the FotR was a different height than the other two),

- ah, those were the days! I guess you're talking about the Allen & Unwin FotRs? This problem is not all that common; I know of only two examples. These are the 1st ed. 2nd imp. of Dec. 1954; and the 1st ed. 7th imp. of October 1957. The 1/2 was printed by Jarrolds, as usual; but the 1/7 was printed by Purnell and Son of Paulton (Somerset) and London.
11 Dec, 2008
2008-12-11 5:54:46 AM UTC
www.tolkien.co.uk is back again, hardly any difference from before, but the FAQ has changed indicating that the books are not numbered.

Does seem odd that a whole site has to be taken down for a couple of weeks to change a couple of pictures and a couple of lines of text.
15 Dec, 2008
2008-12-15 8:17:28 PM UTC
This is old information since others have already posted similar news, but I wanted to share the official response I got from HC on the signed Tales book:

"Dear Jeremy - I'm very sorry for the confusion caused about the book. I can confirm it is not a numbered edition - it is simply signed by Alan Lee. Please accept our apologies for any confusion caused - the appropriate Hobbit will be dealt with accordingly.

Best regards

Chris Michaels
Publishing Brand Manager
HarperCollins"
7 Jan, 2009
2009-1-7 2:22:06 AM UTC
The HarperCollins saga continues...

I will have say that the forementioned ".. dismal state of HarperCollins" must extend well beyond their web site. I received word today from a very exasperated friend, who after much struggle just received his long awaited Tales from the Perilous Realm Deluxe Limited Edition Signed Copies. After HC receiving payment for the order, all record of my friend's order just up and vanished. After succeeding emails and much dialog between he and HC Customer Service, the lost order was sorted out and his book order was posted to him. After a rather pensive wait filled with much apprehension his long awaited order arrived... ONLY to discover the books he received were not at all the Limited Signed Edition which he had ordered, but rather the regular Unsigned Deluxe editions.

At this posting the situation is yet unresolved...

TT
9 Jan, 2009
2009-1-9 11:06:02 AM UTC
I've just had an email from them offering 30% off, and decided this was the time to buy. The email claimed this would make the book £40 ... but the actual cost (£60 - 30%) is, of course, £42. Can't they even do simple arithmetic?

And they're still using WorldPay. Can't they even get their own payment system set up?

Worst of all, I think, are the increasing discounts on the super deluxe Children of Hurin ... which are hardly going to encourage an early take-up of future offers.

/rant

- wellinghall
10 Jan, 2009
2009-1-10 11:52:15 PM UTC
I predicted 30-40% discounting would be required to shift the remainder of the signed copies of CoH, so I guess I was correct. I think the current price of GBP 245 now seems quite good for a quality CT signed book and they might just get those remaining copies sold (economy permitting)

I'm glad that they are discounting via the vouchers, rather than via reducing the RRP as it helps prevent a reduction in the perceived value of the book.

Stu
11 Jan, 2009
2009-1-11 9:52:57 AM UTC
I noticed on Tolkien Forums that another person ordered the signed edition of the book, but was actually sent the unsigned version.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us