Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

26 Oct, 2008
2008-10-26 1:49:21 AM UTC
Hi Wayne,

I have also thought of using a palm pilot for when I am out and about, (although with my modest collection it would be a list of what I need not what I have). I thought a database would be the best program to use, but I did not find any programs that seemed to right for my requirements. Can you tell me what you are using?
Thanks
Dior
26 Oct, 2008
2008-10-26 3:31:03 AM UTC
Our PDA also contains wants lists and other documents with information convenient to have at hand.

For various reasons, we just use plain old Microsoft Word. This is converted to Palm form through DataViz Documents to Go.

Wayne
26 Oct, 2008
2008-10-26 4:23:42 AM UTC
So... how many collectors here have smart phones now (a phone with a web browser in it)?

I must say, having one available when I am out shopping not only means that I can have access to Amazon, addall.com, eBay, and other sites to check availability and prices, but also it is sort of what I envision the Guide moving towards as an online resource.

And I love all the posts about moving your collections! I haven't moved in years now, but before this house I used to move at least once a year (renter in a very volatile market.) Thankfully all of the moves were quite local and I had access to both places for a while, so I could carefully pack a few boxes at a time and carry them myself from one place to another.
26 Oct, 2008
2008-10-26 1:49:06 PM UTC
I remember the horror of moving very well. I must have moved over 25 times in the last 10 years; the worst being coming back from Greece to Belgium and moving over 1000 Tolkien books... It was completely out of my hands and I did spent weeks to prepare it. I was very happy to see them all arrive in good shape and quickly released them from the horrible boxes. Still, because of lack of space I do sometimes have to store a lot of books in boxes... and so the last years I did sell over 1000 books and am concentrating to sell of the large volume and exchange them for better quality items.

There is lots to say about moving books, but also a lot on how to put them on shelves, how to handle them, insurance, exhibiting, etc. There is a lot we can learn from older collectors, so please any topic that can teach us something, don't hold back and talk about it here!
27 Oct, 2008
2008-10-27 10:11:58 AM UTC
Thank you (Wayne) for taking the time to satisfy my curiousity! Two rooms you say? That must be two of those special US rooms!

The use of technology for book lists etc should really be another topic I feel; although I hate to throw the breaks on when everyone is posting so voluminously. Stay on topic Jeremy!...

Your right Beren, this topic could really lead on to a more full discussion of storage/protection of collections (which I'm sure we've discussed before...) I really couldn't imagine moving as many times as you have; particularly when you collection (even at that time) was so large. Nightmare stuff...

BH
10 Jan, 2017
2017-1-10 3:05:00 PM UTC
ohh...packing and unpacking books...good, nerve-racking times!

I must say, given the nature of the item itself, the dustjackets of hardbacks are the most likely to get damaged (not 'ruined' but small folds, creases, minor tears etc....) due to moving, handling and packing them. I mean to say, that the first edition of The Lord of the Rings I ever owned, was gifted to me in Dec 2001 (and the oldest date I can find in it is 94-95). I'm very good and careful with my stuff, and that dustjacket shows a few signs of wear. You know, BECAUSE it's a dustjacket ona book that I actually read.

Anyways! When possible, I like to hold on to to some shipping boxes (much to my partner's annoyance....) that the books came in (the small flat ones that fit *A* book) for, hopefully, ease of packing and storing. The fact that the super deluxe CoH gcame with it's own box gave me that idea, actually....
Another good method (if bubble wrap is all used up or not available) is to wrap some of them in an old t-shirt or something. Not as good as bubble wrap or other protection, but at least provides cushioning. like put the book up the shirt, not down the neck, and fold it a few times.

And yes, no more than 3 boxes high and in the boxes for as little time as possible helps. Heck, even OPENING the boxes may help as well, once they're in the room you want the books to go into, even though the book shelf / book case may not be ready for them yet.

And of course, (depending on time of year) have windows / doors in that room open, even if it's just a crack. My cat likes to jump, so the study is 'off limits' to him because of that. However, I still have the door to that room open a crack to a crack and half in an attempt to get SOME air in there.

This isn't an excuse or saying "oh well!" but stuff is bound to happen. Not like "crap, my book is crushed." but I mean to say us being humans, as well as time, and environments...you can do only so much. Try to not let hairs go grey or ulcers develop from fretting over them. Take care of your books the best you can, and hope for the best.
10 Jan, 2017
2017-1-10 6:58:01 PM UTC
Blimey this thread is over 10years old!
What is going on ?
10 Jan, 2017
2017-1-10 11:45:49 PM UTC
I think I've moved 4 times since that thread started, including once interstate, and once across the Tasman sea.
11 Jan, 2017
2017-1-11 3:19:18 AM UTC
New member - thoroughly examining the forum. Apologies for any spam!
11 Jan, 2017
2017-1-11 6:54:26 AM UTC

scarlet_sorcerer wrote:
New member - thoroughly examining the forum. Apologies for any spam!

Don't worry about it. Explore away. Thread resurrection is fine by me :)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us