Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Oct, 2008
2008-10-24 3:01:52 PM UTC
will be checking it out this evening.. now that would be a pleasant surprise! it would mean that I can reunite two items after more then 6 years (or more before) of separation.

Would that link the card to the letter? or Tolkien's father and Tolkien had the same connection??
24 Oct, 2008
2008-10-24 5:49:41 PM UTC
Great news! I did check the size of the letter (pleed together) and the enveloppe, and they match perfectly.

This is really amazing; an envelope and a letter coming back together like this. Wonderful and thanks Wayne. I still cannot believe I have the items here for over a year and never did make the connection...

Great I decided to scan the items and ask about them. This is very wonderful... i'm happy and stunned. So, as of now they are re-united.
24 Oct, 2008
2008-10-24 8:22:12 PM UTC
What an incredible story (no sarcasm here!) Coincidence indeed! A positively exciting book collectors story. Just as well you posted them Beren. Good stuff. Incredibly envious...

BH
24 Oct, 2008
2008-10-24 8:30:43 PM UTC
Well, it is incredible indeed... cannot believe it myself. But everything points to it that they belong together. Date the same, both mentioning Rev. And the letter fits in perfectly (although I have put it flat again of course, and will not leave it sit in the envelope).

It is a crazy collector tale, one to be remembered and told for many years to come! Coming home I rushed to my Tolkien letters to find the envelope and the letter. I was still thinking the letter was bigger then the envelope... somehow I remembered it to be a bit larger. But no, it was much smaller then I expected and holding it against the envelope I knew Wayne was right. I could have jumped up of excitement.

I did immediatly show my wife and then (after carefully putting it away again) took my family to go out and eat. Like a little celebration. I'm sooo happy to have the items reunited and I can't believe how both items ended up in my collection. Never expected something like this!
25 Oct, 2008
2008-10-25 12:39:32 AM UTC
Beren,

Glad I could help.

In regard to why the letter was separated from its envelope and the envelope paired with the card, Christina wonders if it was because the previous owner of the items decided to "sweeten" the Arthur Tolkien card by selling it with a piece of JRRT manuscript, whereas the JRRT autograph letter could be sold on its own, sans envelope.

Wayne
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us