Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Dec, 2008
2008-12-9 11:28:38 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
Would be interested to hear what number they have gotten up to so far when the book turns up. My guess would be around about the 300 mark, maybe slightly lower.
Stu

Just received two copies today - #339 and #340.
10 Dec, 2008
2008-12-10 1:41:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the information alpingloin.

I am surprised they have sold as far as copy number 340. At a guess (and considering that they can now sell to the USA), this edition may sell out by mid next year. Much quicker than I thought with the price at £350. Of course, Sterling has depreciated dramatically against all other currencies in the past number of months, so I suppose it has been getting cheaper as the year has progressed. And with the additional 10% discount coupon and their large reduction in postage charges (previously £36 to Europe), it has become more reasonable to purchase.
10 Dec, 2008
2008-12-10 2:48:56 PM UTC
Yes, Remy, I agree that it shouldn't require some super aggressive marketing (like put them on Amazon) to sell these out within the next 6 to 12 months. The problem with selling them is that you actually have to have a functioning website in order to sell product. It seems that providing such a site has proven difficult for HC. I suppose I could see them continuing to discount the book for some time (maybe even reduce the price to 300GBP) in order to move the last hundred or so.
12 Dec, 2008
2008-12-12 3:11:34 AM UTC
The new Tolkien.co.uk website is offering 20% off now. That brings the Super Deluxe CoH down to 280GBP. I guess the discounts have deepened already!

From their forum...

"To celebrate the festive season, and to thank you for your patience, we are offering you a special discount of 20% off all titles ordered from the website up to the end of December 2008. All you have to do is enter the discount code TOLK22 in the discount code box at the shopping basket and 20% will be taken off the total amount of your books."
30 Dec, 2008
2008-12-30 4:18:26 PM UTC
Alp,

Couldn't pass up that 20% Signed Limited Deluxe Children of Hurin discount coupon of yours, thx friend.

Placed an order for 2 copies this day (keep one, sell one strategy). The 20% discount should help move the remaining copies along, I know it's motivated me. Should prove to be interesting to see where the numbers are when mine arrives. Will post #'s when they arrive in 7-10 days, perhaps less. High numbers will be better than no numbers.

$1,033.00 -20% = $826.40 / 2 = $413.20 per copy.

Per copy savings = $103.30. $206.60 realized for the two, not too shabby..!

The savings is sweet,,, still.. it's well over $400 a book, a little on the stiff side, but should double/triple in the next 5 years on the weight of the signatures alone. Not to mention that the CoH is a destined classic in it's own rite... ever bring CoH to the big screen.. it'll smash all the records (IMHO).

CoH was a great read, this deluxe edition with two great signatures make it a great collectible, am pleased to add it to my collection.

TT
31 Dec, 2008
2008-12-31 6:24:17 AM UTC
Turin, I think that's a good deal. I'm still a bit upset about missing the 20% off by a matter of days. I did get 10% off, so it isn't too bad. (I did try to contact HC twice about a possible price guarantee/price match, but never got a response - great customer service HC! )

I cannot say where the market for this book will go in the near future. I would like to think that it might double or triple. The price certainly won't change much until all copies are sold out. However, I think that Christopher Tolkien's signature, plus the very nice leather binding on the book should make for an attractive collectible in the future.

Please do post the limitation numbers on your books once you receive them. (Also, just so you don't panic, my books actually took 12 business days to arrive. They may have been delayed in customs or something.)
20 Jan, 2009
2009-1-20 12:54:52 AM UTC
Given the 30% discount and GBP 5.00 postage to Aus, I decided to get another copy of the signed CoH to shove under the bed for 25 years. The interesting thing is whether it will beat a bank account in terms of ROI at the end of the period. I'm not convinced it will, but I'll take the punt..!

My copy number is 443, so there aren't that many left unsold at this point. I guess they might discount further, but I'm thinking 30% off might be as good as it gets. Having said that, who knows - maybe 40% discount is just around the corner?

Stu
2 Feb, 2009
2009-2-2 4:09:59 PM UTC
Well, today I received a copy of the Super Deluxe and it was number 219...
Strange
22 Feb, 2009
2009-2-22 8:36:57 AM UTC
For anyone that is still interested in the Deluxe Edtions boxed set, but missed the 30% discount to 140GBP (which in my opinion is about the price it should retail for), I noticed that there is a seller on Abebooks (THE SAINT BOOKSTORE in Southport) that has >20 sets, charging 149 pounds. Not quite as cheap as the 30% off deal, but not far off.

"Description: 0007273568 BRAND NEW" "The J. R. R. Tolkien Deluxe Edition Collection: "The Children of Hurin", "The Silmarillion", "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" by J. R. R. Tolkien. Bookseller Inventory # B9780007273560"

I also notice (hence posting to this thread) that they also appear to have >20 Deluxe, Signed CoHs @ 261 pounds each.

"Book Description: Retailer-exclusive titles. LEATHER BOUND. Book Condition: New. 0007252242 BRAND NEW" The Children of Hurin by J. R. R. Tolkien. Bookseller Inventory # B9780007252244"

They seem legit, so it seems that HC are not quite the exclusive retailer they claim to be any more. Not surprising as the 500 Super-Deluxes have been hard to shift (even with plenty of people buying 2 or three copies)...

Stu
22 Feb, 2009
2009-2-22 2:35:36 PM UTC
Stu

Thank you.. just placed an order for the HarperCollins Deluxe Edition JRR Tolkien Collection Set. I've waited months for an affordable price to appear on this set. I nearly broke down and paid aftermarket ($800-$850) for it a couple of times, so glad I held out. Thanks - Stu..!

In regards to the continuing Super Deluxe Children of Húrin saga, I've an interesting tidbit to add..

I placed an order for a copy of the Super Deluxe CoH in November 08, just prior to the advent of the 10% & 20% discounts. The number received from that order was 335. In Jan 09, responding to Alps 20% coupon and looking to soothe the sting from paying full price for that one copy, I placed an additional order for 2 more copies. The turn of events from this order took me by surprise.. I was astonished to see the numbers received to be 336 and 337.

I'm not complaining by any means, just a little perplexed. Although the orders were placed some time apart.. I still end up with consecutive numbers; 335, 336 & 337. How is this possible.. the odds for this have to be astronomical? Devine intervention..? I think not, it was done however by someone who I owe a debt of gratitude to, but how is it that you report receiving #443, nary a week after my unbroken sequence arrived. Was there not one single copy sold between the time of my November order and my 2nd order in January.. and then in that one week between me receiving #337 and you receiving your #443, 106 copies were rapidly sold.. can that really be!?

I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this sure is strange!! This HarperCollins company sure has some strange going ons..!! All this intrigue make me thirsty.. time for me pint

TT
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us