http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Hobbit-Firs ... 65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1308

- wellinghall

Posted on: 2008/11/22 13:29

Re: Yet another signed copy
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Oops - i didn't see this post - I've just posted up another piece on this same book. Sorry - is there any way to pop my post into here, and remove the original?

Posted on: 2008/11/23 10:01

Just can't stay away
From Belgium
Group:
Shirefolk
I didn't want to start a new topic on this, but another Tolkien signature is on eBay:

Tolkien "messed up" signature

Looks pretty messed up and I can't find out if it is a genuine one. Looks quite good to me when you look to the form and writing of the letters but it's quite messed up for Tolkien's style... Also it hasn't got an ex-libris...
If it is a genuine one, it is a bargain! But I will not place a bid as I am very doubtful about this. Maybe Beren can find out

Posted on: 2009/1/5 12:27

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Well I'll be mailing this person to get a larger view on the signature... it seems messed up indeed, but feels very genuine to me as well. Especially the J is done very well. The only doubt (at a fast glance) is the line underneath the signature, which is not Tolkien(ish) at all. Also the position of the autograph makes me doubt very much. If this booked belonged to Tolkien he'd never would have signed there, and if it was not his own copy, why on earth would he sign it there? Still, I have to see the signature up close and do have to look up some stuff before I can give a definitive answer.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 12:37

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Christina and I have serious doubts about this signature. The script, even down to the blue ink, is very similar to that used in signatures recently discussed in this forum as forgeries. Beren is right, though, that the position of the signature, on the title-page of a book not by Tolkien himself, is suspicious. Also open to question is why Tolkien would have acquired a copy of Sweet’s reader published in 1946: yes, he knew Onions, and this was the first edition of Sweet revised by Onions, but by 1946 Tolkien would have had one or more editions of Sweet already as working copies, and with Michaelmas Term of that year he fully took up the duties of the Merton Professorship in which he no longer taught Anglo-Saxon.

I might mention that I’ve looked on eBay at other autographed items sold by the person offering this book, and am uncertain about some of those signatures as well.

Wayne

Posted on: 2009/1/5 19:41

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.