Beren
20 hours 52 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

What is your collecting focus?
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
I think it would be interesting to hear what everyone has decided to focus on with their collecting.

I'll go first:

Early on I realized I can't collect everything so I decided to focus on US published tolkien editions. I'll never get there but Im aiming for every US edition of everything tolkien has done.

I also like to collect the older poems like Goblin Feet and scholarly works like Beowulf, Green Knight and Ancrene Wisse.

Lastly I liked getting books about tolkien himself and about the various movies made. I'm very casual about this category.

I probablly should have narrowed my focus a bit but these areas called to me.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 17:17

Re: What is your collecting focus?
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Like most collectors, I mainly collect 1st, 1sts.

However, for research purposes, I also collect unpublished and uncollected images of Tolkien's letters. I have also acquired copies of most of Tolkien's published interviews, but there are still a few I still need. His interviews are fascinating.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 10:20

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
For me it's about slipcased and boxed editions. As I am early in my collection, I am going for limited editions and 'fancy looking' books first.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 10:54

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
For me its a real mixed bag - mainly UK firsts but if something comes along I fancy and have the money! then I try and buy it. I do like some of his older pieces Beowulf and his piece in Essays to Charles Williams is a good read as well.

The interviews sound good and maybe I need to take a look at some of these as well.

Posted on: 2010/10/7 2:11

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
I guess I'm more of a hunter than a collector. I have the resources to track down and purchase items available online (within reason), and have done so on occassion. My real joy comes in perusing used bookstores and second hand shops looking for unexpected finds. True, I do come up empty handed more times than not - and many times will come across editions I already have - I usually pick these up anyway as the price is usually very good and I pass them on to several friends who are casual collectors as well. It's all good, and a wonderful hobby no matter what the focus one may have.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 10:37

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]