Onónion
2 hours 30 minutes ago

Beren
3 hours 36 minutes ago

Stu
3 hours 46 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

[WANTED] Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review (Volumes I - VI)
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
I'm looking for reasonably priced hardback copies of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review (Volumes I - VI). Are there still any around, and if so, where can I find them? Maybe someone on the forum has one of these volumes for sale.

Posted on: 1/31 15:01:55

Re: [WANTED] Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review (Volumes I - VI)
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
The availability of these volumes (in HB & digitally) was discussed here last year. No idea where you'd get physical copies of any of the OOP volumes; volumes XII - X are obviously still available, new, via the publisher WVUPress. To be honest, like most academic publications --I don't think they're worth physically collecting.

BH

Posted on: 1/31 15:24:07

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Khamûl, I have to disagree with you for these in particular. Some Tolkien Studies volumes are actually the first place that primary Tolkien material has been published, or for the first time in many many decades...

As for obtaining copies - eBay and asking around are probably your best bets, though as mentioned in that other thread many of the volumes are available digitally if you just want to read the material and not collect the physical books.

http://wvupressonline.com/tolkien_back_issue

Posted on: 1/31 15:55:14

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
My point is: if you believe the content is important & worth reading (your point) --then this is not an argument for acquiring the content physically (I did say not worth "physically collecting"). Excepting vol. I, all the content is still available direct from WVUPress. Why does the format matter?

BH

Posted on: 1/31 16:33:13

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Khamûl wrote:
My point is: if you believe the content is important & worth reading (your point) --then this is not an argument for acquiring the content physically (I did say not worth "physically collecting"). Excepting vol. I, all the content is still available direct from WVUPress. Why does the format matter?

BH

I actually do agree with you, but playing the devil's advocate, I suppose you could apply your argument to any of the Tolkien books we collect, as they are all available electronically these days, and indeed a tatty paperback has the same literary value as a 1st Edition (possibly bar a few typos and relatively trivial amendments in some cases).

Posted on: 1/31 16:38:40

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]