15 hours 57 minutes ago

Joshua MacDougall
17 hours 47 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

2005 Calendar signed by Priscilla Tolkien
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Fellowship
I'm not a calendar collector, but I ordered some books from Ebay a while back and included was an interesting item. It's a 2005 50th Anniversary Calendar signed by Priscilla Tolkien. It's inscribed: "For Pieter Willem With best wishes from Priscilla Tolkien" and includes a letter from Jan-Stefan van der Walt to the recipient (the calendar was a wedding gift apparently). It seems from what I've found online that the van der Walt family maintained Tolkien's father's grave in South Africa and assisted the Tolkien family in celebrating Tolkien's 100th birthday in Bloemfontein.

The condition is very good - there a few slight bends and a few light scuffs on the back. I have no particular attachment to the item and am interested in selling it. Any thoughts on value?

Posted on: 5/14 15:38:24

Re: 2005 Calendar signed by Priscilla Tolkien
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
An interesting item but i really cant see much value in it. I have seen a few books recently for sale with various family related signatures but unless they are directly linked to the book why would people buy them?
Out of interest ? The Tolkien link?
Its all a bit tenuous to me.
Others may agree/or not but guess only one way to find out - put it on ebay for a £1 and watch what happens
Good luck though

Watch it make £100s now !

Posted on: 5/15 5:07:41

Re: 2005 Calendar signed by Priscilla Tolkien
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

laurel wrote:
An interesting item but i really cant see much value in it. I have seen a few books recently for sale with various family related signatures but unless they are directly linked to the book why would people buy them?
Out of interest ? The Tolkien link?
Its all a bit tenuous to me.
Others may agree/or not but guess only one way to find out - put it on ebay for a £1 and watch what happens
Good luck though

Watch it make £100s now !

I'd broadly agree with your assessment, Laurel. I really can't see a great deal of value in family signatures. eBay with a low reserve and see what happens.

Posted on: 5/15 19:15:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]