Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Tolkien's works in other languages [Link]
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Adanedhel posted this as a comment in the Blog of Mazarbul but I thought it useful enough to add here where more people might read it.

A while ago, I started compiling a list of Tolkien’s works in various languages (whether the books were published or not) so that it could be used by collectors to find titles in those languages and use them for search on the internet (or just to see how ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’, for instance, would sound in different languages). At first I started only with the Middle-Earth related books but now I decided to expand the list. It is far from complete, but I’m working on it. You can take a look at it here:

http://endorion.org/books/inotherlanguages.html

I’m also working on collecting translations of the Ring Verse and I’ll soon post it.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 16:47

Edited by Khaml on 2013/4/24 14:13:21

Re: Tolkien's works in other languages
Just popping in
From Sofia, Bulgaria
Group:
Shirefolk
Thank you, Rowns

I hope that people will find the list useful (or at least interesting).

It is not a bibliography of Tolkien's works in other languages, but a tool for finding them and ordering them on the net. There are already plenty of good bibliographies, but they tend to use the English transcription of the titles, e.g. it would be hard to find "Hobbitto no booken" when the actual title is ホビットの冒険.

Furthermore, if you are not a collector, but just interested in comparing the titles in different languages (like I am), it is really fun to go through the list.

Please, feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions or comments.

Posted on: 2007/10/27 4:07

Re: Tolkien's works in other languages
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I certainly am already finding it useful, thanks for putting it together! The book section here is beginning to fill out, and it is helping me a lot. I have permission from Doug Anderson to work off of his Annotated Hobbit bibliography for example, but his is entirely transcribed as you say, so getting the original language titles is important for me to add.

Thanks again,
Jeremy

Posted on: 2007/10/28 0:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.