Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Blank / Dummy Silmarillions
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi folks - Happy New Year to you all

I'm getting confused about which variants of the blank / dummy Silmarillions there are - any advice?

Thanks

wellinghall

Posted on: 2008/1/5 10:34

Re: Blank / Dummy Silmarillions
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Well, Holford ( ) states the following:

Printed by Clowes & Sons.

Pre-publication dummy copy. According to a letter seen with one copy, these were distributed to booksellers to solicit pre-publication orders.

Dark blue cloth binding, with blue and white striped headband, dyed blue top edge and dark blue coloured dustwrapper.

Three variants have been seen:

1) With the pages printed up to page 32
2) With the pages printed up to page 35
3) With these pages blank

The copy of Variant 3 seen lacked a dustwrapper.

Most copies come in the unpriced export jacket, but one copy of the 32 page variant has been seen in a priced domestic dustwrapper. Whether this was as issued is uncertain.

Courtesy of Tolkienbooks.net

So I guess this is pretty much all thats been seen. The priced variant sounds unlikely if it was Clowes (as their jackets were unpriced).

Deagol!? Was the priced copy a Billing copy? Or have all dummy copies (seen) been Clowes 1rst impressions?

As an added point. The presence of only Clowes pre-publication copies (assuming this is the case) adds weight to the argument that Clowes was the main printer employed & that these copies were in production (or in this case pre-production) first.

BH

Posted on: 2008/1/5 14:24

Home away from home
From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks for the citation!

Alas I didn't follow it up to find out who the printer was. My suspicion is that the jacket had been added, but it is impossible to be sure.

I have a copy of Variant 1 with an associated letter dated 22 August 1977, just over 3 weeks before publication. The Billing copies would have been in production by then, so I think it is almost certain that Clowes would have produced all the dummy copies.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 15:11

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Yes, yes - very good (one would like a peek at your Silmarillion Collection Deagol... ) - every now & then some other copy (with a pre-publication letter!) is casually mentioned.

Billing would surely have made a dummy/variant copy of some sort though. They would have made one in order to send to GA&U themselves. Much like that very pre(pre)-publication BCA 1978 Silmarillion that came up a while back; with printers/typographers notes on the inside cover etc...

BH

Posted on: 2008/1/5 16:28

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I bought that one

Posted on: 2008/1/6 1:57

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.