Khamûl
14 hours 29 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

farmer giles of ham sticker
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
i just bought a fourth impression FGoH with a fifth impression dj. there is a sticker on the dj that reads 12s.6d.net George Allen and Unwin, is this common? I could not find any information on this, thanks for your time.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 13:38

Re: farmer giles of ham sticker
Home away from home
From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I happened across the answer to this question the last time I visited the A&U archive.

The Allen & Unwin and Houghton Mifflin copies were printed and bound at the same time in the U.K. The only difference between the two editions is that the Houghton Mifflin copies have the price on the front flap of the dj in dollars rather than shillings.

Due to a mistake by the binder, 2,000 A&U copies were sent to the U.S. instead of 2,000 HM copies. The cheapest solution was to re-price each dj. I guess A&U opted to use stickers rather than clip them.

If you could supply a photo or scan that would be great.

I think that the impression number on the dj is a slip by A&U - 3rd Impression copies usually come in a 4th Impression dj, and 4th Impression copies come in a 5th Impression dj.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 14:20

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
here is a scan of the dj, there seems to be no price printed on it (under the sticker)

Attach file:

jpg  FGoH dj.jpg (26.07 KB)
151_47fc36616c61d.jpg 640X465 px

jpg  FGoH dj 2.jpg (49.06 KB)
151_47fc36710d4f3.jpg 640X465 px

Posted on: 2008/4/8 20:24

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
i used a scanner to take these pictures, i have a camera that can take much better pictures if you would like them for other posting reasons. also i would like to say thanks for all the help with the HoME specifications. i just bought a UK BoLT 1 1st/1st with the A&U sticker for 32GBP (the book looks to be in great condition) which i'm very excited about. just wanted to say you guys are great, it was extremely helpful to know what to look for as far as price (~worth) and the issue of the sticker, thanks a bunch!

Posted on: 2008/4/8 22:35

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Deagol, i was looking through your reply and looking at the other FGoH dust jackets in my collection, and from what i can gather all the dj should have a price in dollars, shillings, or pounds. is there any explanation for this dj not having a printed price at all? thanks again for your time, i appreciate it very much.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 12:14

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]