Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

J. R. R. Tolkien Books

20 Apr, 2008
2008-4-20 4:18:23 PM UTC

I am wondering how I can get someone to give me an idea of what my books might be worth. I have the set of J. R. R. Tolkien books(The two towers, The return of the king, and the fellowship of the ring) Hard back with dust covers. They are dated 1967, and is very good condition. I need help finding someone to appraise them. Can someone help me?
20 Apr, 2008
2008-4-20 9:05:47 PM UTC
If they are all 2nd(edition)/2nd(impressions) then they might attract a bit of interest from the more obsessive collectors out there (last impressions Tolkien had a hand in.) They'll still attract interest from the general collector if in good nick though. Might get between £50-£100 on eBay if just VG/VG. Mabey higher if excellent examples i.e. F/F.

I'm no expert though; mabey wait see what others estimate...

BH
23 Apr, 2008
2008-4-23 5:04:28 AM UTC
Hi timsgirl,

I'll answer assuming that you have US 2nd edition sets (since Khamul did an excellent job answering if you have the UK set).

Are these the Orange/Red/Purple dustjacketed sets pictured below?

If they are first impressions (have a full number line "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" on the copyright page) then they can have reasonable value - a few hundred dollars for VG/VG shape. They have a significant chance of being later impressions, or book club editions (no price on the dustjacket, no number line on the copyright page) in which case they don't have significant value - there are uncountable numbers of those available on the market at any given time.

If you want more information, send me some pics of the books and copyright pages and we can tell you what you have.

1_480ec34472b83.jpg 206X291 px
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us