Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Lord of the Rings
Home away from home
From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
After sifting through over 10,000 letters in the A&U archive (over the last 14 months) I have finally published the latest article in The Early Publishing History of The Lord of the Rings series.

This one is called Printing and Binding The Lord of the Rings. It gives details of the number of copies of each impression that were printed and bound, and the number exported to the US for use by Houghton Mifflin. Details of galley proofs and page proofs are also included.

If anybody has questions, comments or suggestions for improvement please feel free to post here.

I would be especially interested if anybody has seen any of the proofs or advance copies - information on these is very thin on the ground. The photo used on the page is the best I could come up with. (It is the 1954 Page Proof of The Two Towers)

Posted on: 2007/1/11 16:06

THE Proof Collector
Home away from home
From The Green Hill Country
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
If anyone knows anything about proofs it would be Toady. I have his email address. Drop me a line via my the email link on my website and I'll send you his back. My email address changed recently (Adelphia was bought out by Comcast); the new one is on the link there.

I know (from Toady) that he has been in contact with Beren, too (about creating a collector profile). So you may contact Toady via him, also, if that is easier.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

Posted on: 2007/1/12 20:45

Re: Lord of the Rings
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I do have some proof copies, .. and have been in contact with Toady. Have been tracking down another proof copy of Lord of the Rings which has been sold on ebay for 7000 USD about 5 years ago. I found the buyer and hope to receive info and pictures.

I do own a proof copy of The Hobbit (66 edition) and I know another proof copy for the hobbit (this time for longmans edition)... I have pictures of it.

Then I know a seller Lucius books has one for sale and normally Simon Finch, Ken Lopez and a seller called Biblioctopus have sold them in the past. I even think that Simon Finch must still have a complete set... I should write him.

Posted on: 2007/2/5 1:15

Home away from home
From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I've been distracted by troubles with the website for the last 2 or 3 weeks - all sorted now, it seems to be running smoothly. Will try to follow up some leads this week.
I have been in touch with somebody who owns an advance copy of FR in a proof jacket. He has promised some scans, so I'll try to add them to the site at some stage.

Posted on: 2007/2/5 13:50

Not too shy to talk
From Belgium
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I own an uncorrected proof of The Fellowship Of The Ring. I can send you some scans, if you still want them.

Posted on: 2007/6/14 1:27

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]