Those confounded spaces
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi all,

I've been noticing of late that most books published with Tolkien's initials have no spaces (in other words, they look like "J.R.R." instead of "J. R. R."). This was not so common in the past, if you go back through older publications.

I thought it might just be a printing style or some such, but in recent works (for example, I did a sample check of Tolkien Studies), only Tolkien's initials are compressed - other initials have spaces between the letters and periods.

Is this something the Estate prefers, or just shorthand that everyone is adopting? Anyone know, or have opinions?

Posted on: 2008/5/26 12:29

Re: Those confounded spaces
Just can't stay away
From Tolkien Society Unquendor in the Netherlands
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Well, in Dutch everyone's initials get compressed - there only is a space after the last period before the surname. Nowadays, that is, in correspondence, publications, directories etc. It used to be less common.

I find on Tolkien's works published in Dutch in the 1960s that it says "J.J.R.Tolkien" (thus without any spaces) on cover, spine and title page (and half-title), but "J. J. R. Tolkien" in the blurb on the back. On/in a completely unrelated Dutch book of the same time, printing all spaces is the norm, inside and out, text and titling.

Come we to the early 1980s, and it's "J.R.R. Tolkien" on blurb, half-title, copyright page (It was "Tolkien" with the T extending over the other letters on cover and spine at the time). And that has been the norm ever since, extended to cover and spine. And it is the norm with unrelated Dutch books published at the same times.

Posted on: 2008/5/27 10:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]