7 hours 34 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

The series of articles: how to protect condition of very rare books
Just popping in
From Poland
Group:
Shirefolk
Hi,

Some time ago I've collected Tolkien book from 1947. This books is in marvellous condition, so good as I was very suprised and ask "how is it possible?" After 59 years? The book is in 100% original so I was start to thinking how previous owner was able to protect this book over these all years.

I have no idea about methods to protect the books before dust, humidity, sun, dirties except using dustjacket. Of course, there is always possibility to hide books in some strong protection but in this case there is no fun ;) because the book should be on the bookshelf instead of hide in some dark(even safe) place :)

I would like to read some series of articles in this matter. How to really good protect rare books and keep on bookshelf for good look.

Maybe there are some articles in the Internet but I didn't find it.

Posted on: 2006/12/28 6:27

Re: The series of articles: how to protect condition of very rare books
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I think that's a great idea! I have some links from other sites that I will post here soon (AABA, IOBA, etc.) and try to write up some myself as well.

Brodart or Gaylord archival dustjacket protectors are a must in my mind - they protect the dustjacket from tears, UV sunlight, fingerprints, etc, and are non-acidic so they won't accelerate the deterioration of the paper.

I have glass doors on my bookshelves to keep dust levels down (not tightly sealed, as you don't want moisture buildup, etc.)

Wayne and Christina had an article in the Tolkien Collector about how they take care of their collection that was excellent. (The good news being that Wayne just told me that they are back on track with TC, so back issues should be mailed out someday soon, and a new issue is forthcoming!) Perhaps I can get reprint permission for that article.

Other comments are welcome!

Posted on: 2007/1/5 11:13

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]