Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis
Home away from home
From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Recently, I've been trying to trace unpublished or hard-to-find letters by Tolkien.

Does anyone happen to know if the Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis contains only letters from C.S. Lewis (like The Letters of JRRT)? I guess this is the case, although the volumes might give a hint of letters sent to Lewis from Tolkien which were not included in The Letters of JRRT.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 17:32

Re: Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I have the "Letters of C.S. Lewis" edited by W.H.Lewis first printed in 1966 by Bles.

This is not the same book that you mention, but this book has a couple of problems that relate to your enquiry. It has no index, so it is difficult to find all Tolkien references and it also appears to not have a single letter addressed directly to Tolkien.

The "Collected Letters" edited by Walter Hooper are in three volumes and it looks like volume two may contain some letters sent to Tolkien.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 21:23

Edited by Trotter on 2010/5/16 21:59:34

Home away from home
From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I'm planning to buy the three volumes of Collected Letters in a near future. I'll post here to let you know of any clues of unpublished letters by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 12:30

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
If you are just interested in Lewis/Tolkien letters then as I mentioned earlier just buy Volume Two.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 12:57

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Yes, Lewis's _Collected Letters_ contains only letters written by Lewis. There's one to Tolkien in Volume 2; the one where Lewis praises LotR - 'Uton herian holbytlas', etc. (Oct. 27, 1949). Another is to be found in Vol.3.

Reading Lewis's letters can never be said to be a waste; there's a lot of good stuff in there. And there's quite a few mentions of Tolkien throughout the three volumes. But I can't sift through the great mass to find snippets of what might be letters from T. to L. A better bet, for my money, is Scull and Hammond's two-volume 'JRR Tolkien: A Companion and Guide_ which has parts of many previously unpublished letters - from auction catalogues, for example - and also select extracts from Tolkien's diary. All in all - a must!

Posted on: 2010/5/17 14:26

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]