Onónion
2 hours 45 minutes ago

Beren
3 hours 51 minutes ago

Stu
4 hours 1 minute ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

International Shipping assistance network?
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi everyone, there is a discussion over in "Interesting eBay auctions" thread about international shipping that I am continuing here.

http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=12119#forumpost12119

So the question is, is there interest in having a support network of people in various countries who can potentially help out with international shipping?

The very basic idea is that you want to buy something in a foreign country, but they (a) charge too much for international shipping, or (b) don't offer it at all. You reach out through "the support network" in that country, the seller ships to that address, and the "supporter" then ships it on to you and gets reimbursed for the cost and effort.

For this basic idea, are you:
[1] Very interested and would be a supporter
[2] Interested, would use the network but would not help others
[3] Indifferent
[4] Not a good idea, would suggest instead [your suggestion goes here]
[5] Horrible idea, don't think this should be done at all.

Feel free to reply here, or message/email me privately if you want to vote but don't want to do so publicly.

I have a feeling that if this were set up we would want some sort of filtering/trust/vetting process rather than have this just be a wild west bulletin board / Craigslist approach where you have no idea who the intermediary really is.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:16

Re: International Shipping assistance network?
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Such a "network" has existed for a long time between Tolkien collectors, on an individual basis. Indeed, we first got to know each other because we were on opposite sides of the Atlantic and wanted U.S. or U.K. editions respectively. In those days, there was no Amazon or Book Depository or the like, and paying in a foreign currency was elaborate and expensive, before the introduction of international credit management and PayPal.

We still have this kind of arrangement with several friends in Europe: we buy something for them, they buy something for us, as we choose, we keep track of "accounts", and we negotiate what seems mutually like a fair exchange. This is especially useful for obtaining Tolkien-related society publications which don't enter into the usual trade, or translations not found from online sources, and when we're concerned to get a first printing of a book or a copy in good condition, neither of which one can count on from Amazon et al., but which is sometimes possible when a friend can look at copies in a shop. We have also used friends in the U.K. as shipping addresses for U.K. eBay sellers who won't post to the U.S.A.

From our point of view, there is certainly room for a wider network, and we could see ourselves using it to some degree, while helping others in return.

Wayne & Christina

Posted on: 2013/5/9 4:52

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
[1] Very interested and would be a supporter

Posted on: 2013/5/9 8:59

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi
Yes
put me down as a 1

Posted on: 2013/5/9 9:06

Quite a regular
From Vienna, Austria
Group:
Shirefolk

I would be glad to help others if needed.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 9:35

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]