Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Tolkien signed ALS - April 11th 2017

30 Mar, 2017
2017-3-30 5:31:06 AM UTC

Description: Tolkien John 1892 - 1973 J.R.R. Tolkien reflects on C.S. Lewis, and assists a peer with his choice of University

Two page TLS, 8" x 10" , boldly signed twice by J.R.R. Tolkien as "J.R.R. Tolkien" along the bottom of page one, and using his initials "JRRT" on page two. Dated "2 August, 1946" Typed on blind stamped, 20 Northmoor Road, Oxford letterhead. Soft expected folds, else near fine.

An lengthy TLS from Tolkien to Przemys_aw Mroczkowski who had studied romance languages at the Faculty of Philosophy, Jagiellonian University in 1938, and who was looking to futher his studies at the time. Professor Mroczkowski described his first encounter with Tolkien in an interview with Tomasz Fia_kowski in the pages of Tygodnik Powszechny (No. 14, 1994): "It was at the British Council in Oxford, I do not remember all the topics of conversation, but I remember that I presented myself to Tolkien in the following way: 'I come from Mordor...'. He didn't object to that comparison, although today I understand that he did not refer the recent historical events when he conceived the kingdom".

Estimate: $2,000 - $3,000

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot ... ywordalertlive&utm_term=2

You can see previous sales on this link

Letter to Przemyslaw Mroczkowski 2nd August 1946

10_58dc980f4c3f0.jpg 592X380 px
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us