10 hours 17 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Unusual Items
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I thought it might be interesting to swap tales on the more unusual items in our collections.

When I was in Oxford for Oxonmoot, I popped into Blackwells. Just as I was leaving, I picked up their "rare books" catalogue, and started leafing through it. My eye lit on this entry:

"Sir Stanley Unwin: The Celeration of his 80th Birthday and Golden Wedding Day; with allusions to 50 years of George Allen & Unwin Ltd under his direction; 40 years on the Executive of The International Publishers Association; and 30 years on The British Council."

I cajoled the assistant into hunting through the shelves with me, until we found it. It proved to be a beautiful little book - number 26 of only 50 published - with a signed note from Sir Stanley!

There is no mention of Tolkien in it, but I consider i a worthy addition to my collection of Tolkienalia.

Posted on: 2007/12/2 6:27

Re: Unusual Items
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I was quite excited to receive a copy of Winter's Tales for Children a few years back - it has orange boards instead of the normal green boards (mentioned on Tolkienbooks.net now but it wasn't at the time). No mention of the board color until I had the book in hand, so it was quite pleasant to find!

Another, unique, item that I will always treasure in my collection is a hand drawn comic book of "The Hobbit" drawn by my wife when she was 15 years old (long, long before we ever met.)

Posted on: 2007/12/2 13:33

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I recently found an original School Register (January 1909 term) for King Edward’s School in Birmingham. It lists names and address of pupils for that term. JRRT and his brother Hilary are listed along with their address and of being under the care of Fr. Francis Morgan. Not of any bibliographical significance, but I thought it was a nice early item of Tolkien Memorabilia. It is a small softcover book, bound in dark blue soft leatherette with Gilt Titles.

Posted on: 2007/12/15 16:22

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
O dear, I don't think I have anything very good (have I been collecting long enough?)

Best find (not online - aren't the best finds the ones where you physically come across the item?) was last year at Edinburgh book fair. Found a couple of Michael Tolkien's copies of the little 1979 Unwin paperback Silmarillion. One was from before publication (cut wrong) & the other was a better copy with a little headed note from GA&U stuck inside apologising for the previous copy; all with the usual Michael Tolkien name & address, and little notes about how it was sent back etc. I know Michael's books come up quite a bit but since my main focus is The Silmarillion - this was nice.

BH

Posted on: 2007/12/16 1:57

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
The most unusual item that I have is my copy of the standard UK Children of Hurin, which I got from Foyles in London a week before the official release of the book.

Foyles must have had a about 30 copies of the book in the store which had been pulled from the shelves after HarperCollins found out they were selling them early. They were actually still in the store but had been turned around so you could not see the covers. I bought a copy took it outside and had a look at it, the first section of the book is bound upside down. I went back into the store and it looks like all the rest were the same.

I think that these books would have been pulped before the release 1 week later, so I suspect that my copy may be unique.

Posted on: 2007/12/17 2:56

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]