9 hours 37 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

A new collection
Not too shy to talk
From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk
I am about to start seriously collecting Tolkien works, I was wondering how does one tell the printing number of a 1st edition, I am under the belief that 1st edition/ 1st printings are significantly more valuable than 1st edition/ 2nd printings and so on. I would be so thankful for any help on starting my collection, if it is advice, tips, collection lists, and any help in selling me some books (if allowed sorry to mods if this is not allowed) ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Thanks Tom

P.S EXCELLENT WEBSITE!! I just joined

Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:03

Re: A new collection
Not too shy to talk
From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk
After digging around on the internet I have several more questions, I only hope someone out there will provide answers.
Questions That Need Answering

1) How does one determine the printing of a 1st edition book? How do you recognize 1st printings? Where in the book does it say? Any information would be helpful

( I am not sure, but looking around online, 1st editions/1st printings are the books you really want to collect !?! IS THAT RIGHT!?! I just thought that 1st editions were sought after, I didn't know there were different printings to consider, so a 1st edition/2nd printing is worth substantially less!?!

As you all are serious collectors I know you are most likely familiar with http://www.tolkienbooks.com (some you may have actually created it) From everything I have seen it is the most amazing compilation of Tolkien works on the net! My point here is that I haven't seen any documentation of ACE BOOKS which are of course, as all of you know, the pirate US paperback lord of the rings, I found no information about these books on tolkienbooks.com or that of any BALLANTINE BOOKS

2A) Where can I find information on the ACE LOTR BOOKS? How many editions are there? How many printings are there? How many books were printed?
2B)Where can I find information about the Tolkien BALLANTINE BOOKS? How many editions are there? How many printings are there? How many books were printed?

Pictures of books I am referring to

ACE

Open in new window

BALLANTINE
Open in new window

3) Where can I find information on the Houghton-mifflin Tolkien books?

I hope I formed my questions in a coherent manner, I look forward to answers.

THANK YOU FOR READING AND FOR YOUR HELP

-TOM

Posted on: 2007/12/31 11:03

Home away from home
From The Green Hill Country
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi Tom -

As the books are really not my "thing", I really should leave this to Jeremy or Deagol or other book collectors who frequent these forums. If hardcover editions of the books, you should visit www.tolkienlibrary.com Hardcover first editions of the LotR or Hobbit will set you back A LOT.

However, you have posted pictures of the Ace and Ballantine paperback editions, and I have collected a small number of these (including the Ace and the first boxset in the green box). You may wish to visit http://www.tolkienguide.us/index.html to learn more about these sets. To my knowledge, these are all second editions. Nice copies of them can still be found with some luck and persistence on eBay. Depending upon condition, I have seen first printings listed for $50 - 80 per book.

There was only one printing of the Ace set. The Ballantine sets with the Barbara Remington covers probably had 40+ printings. The printing is noted on the page following the title page and the date of the printing will be included. The first printing of these (hard to find in mint state) was Oct 1965.

Perhaps harder still to find is really good examples of the cardboard boxes that the sets came in. Most are worn or split or show some other signs of their age.

Hope this helps and that others offer their advice.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

Posted on: 2007/12/31 11:50

Not too shy to talk
From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk
What is your "thing" I have never met/ talked to any other lotr collector, any pictures, info, description from anyone would be great!

I plan on getting a 1937 1st/1st printing when I am older and have a substantial carrier, but right now I am only 15 and just starting to collect on a more serious note.

I have been collecting LOTR merchandise for around 9 years, my parents don't think its good, so my mismatched pitiful collection has been bought with the small amount of money I have been able to acquire since I was 6. I haven't been able to buy any real COLLECTIBLES, only 30ish LOTR books common to bookshops (no historical or appreciated value) most film related, posters, maps, flags, swords, figures, clippings from newspapers/ magazines, ect

My collection is like that to a neat pack rat, more of child's play, and of little value on the grand scale. I am now striving to acquire a more mature collection, something I can really be proud of, that has an important historical role in the shaping of a timeless master piece. A collection which truly reflects of the Lord of the Rings as an epic story in middle-earth and that of its evolved history through the last century.
I would like something of REAL importance not like the mass produced "rubbish" I have now. It is fine for what it is, I am not about to go chuck it in the bin, but I have a desire for something of REAL significance.

Back to topic...

The link you gave just what I needed! I am surprised I never found that site combing through Google for hours
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

You say you have a green box cased ballantine edition! Would you like to part with it

I will start looking for the green box, I do have a question though.
Are the ballantine books from 1965 in the green box bound in green? Or do they have the same cover images of the later editions?

Thank you for your reply, I am so happy to finally get one.

-TOM

Posted on: 2007/12/31 12:45

Not too shy to talk
From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk
Well I have a newish questions

4A)How does one determine the impression of a book?
4B)What does impression mean?

5A)I still am not sure, how you determine the printing of a book?
5B)Does it say first printing in plain English?

6)What does the number line mean?

As always thank you very much for reading and for your replies and help

-TOM

Posted on: 2007/12/31 14:23

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.