Tolkien Collector's Guide
Posts
By Stu

Re: New Book Releases

Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538


Morgan wrote:
Trotter:

"How many pages in total are the text of The Lay of Aotrou & Itroun and how many are commentary?"

The Lay itself (as published in The Welsh Review) appears on pp. 3-21. The rest of the book contains a mix of commentary and related manuscripts by Tolkien. A detailed Contents can be found as a "preview" on the Amazon page of the book.

"where was it printed and what are your views on the printing quality?"

"Printed and bound in Great Britain by Clays Ltd, St Ives plc". Printing quality is same as the other recent (standard edition) Tolkien titles from HarperCollins.

Ulmo:


Good to hear.


By Stu

Re: New Book Releases

Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538

One thing I have noticed is that Book Depository seem to now do consolidated shipping to NZ, and then the parcels are labelled for final delivery from Auckland. So far, so good; The last couple of parcels haven't looked like they went through the meat grinder.


By Stu

Re: New Book Releases

Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538


Velmeran wrote:
May I request of anyone a picture of just Húrin-Sigurd-Arthur-Beowulf-Kullervo (deluxe) standing together?

My copy showed up today from Amazon.co.uk so was able to take a few pics of the ones you requested :)

Pics are a bit unruly in size when put in using the img tag, so will just use links....
http://i.imgur.com/VA6fWpU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cDNuli7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MpCivkx.jpg


Thanks for posting those -- looks like the postal service has not been completely kind to some of them!


By Stu

Re: David Miller Slipcases

Nov 1, 2016 - in Other Websites (edited)
Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538


Khamûl wrote:
I don't agree. At the very least it adds value to the value of the slipcase itself. They're not worth nothing. Take a book worth, say, £80-90 (not your example, a "common" book; that's a straw man argument, as you're always going to struggle to add value to ten-a-penny books); add a slipcase & it's going to sell for £100. 'Tis fact! Stu, it happens on eBay, so it must be true...

BH


The reason I chose the "common book" example, is this is how I have seen these slipcases used on eBay. Thirty dollars worth of books tied together with slipcase and up for absurd asking prices.

I'll agree that they are not worth nothing, but they aren't worth the retail price second-hand, unless you happen to find a buyer that really wants that exact after-market slipcase. Rebinds and embellishment (facsimile jackets, slipcases, random photocopies of Tolkien's will) are almost always not worth the purchase cost in terms of resale value.

And yes, I've seen a $10 silmarillion up for sale in a DM slipcase.

Now, what they are worth to the individual who choses to purchase them is a different matter. I don't personally see the point (they don't protect the spine from UV and that is the only bit of a book on the shelf that is going to come to harm). But for people who like them, they seem nicely made.


By Stu

Re: David Miller Slipcases

Nov 1, 2016 - in Other Websites (edited)
Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538


Khamûl wrote:
They're fantastic. So is DM; really helpful guy. Also, they do add value. Come on!, they look great...

BH


Sorry, I really have to disagree. I don't believe they add *financial* value (I chose my wording very specifically). Most embellishments don't. I'm not saying they aren't nice (although I don't personally like the style of slipcase in your image), but a set of common books doesn't suddenly become valuable because you stick them in a nice slipcase (and I'm not arguing that David M. doesn't produce some very nice slipcases -- he does).


By Stu

Re: David Miller Slipcases

Nov 1, 2016 - in Other Websites (edited)
Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538

Worth pointing out that they aren't "collectable", so they don't add financial value to an ordinarily slipcased book that is missing the original slipcase. They are kind of like facsimile dust jackets in that regard. I'd still consider buying the odd one, but I do recognise a sales tool when I see one (and they seem to be used to justify some pretty out there prices on fairly ordinary books, IMHO).
_________________


By Stu

Re: Unfinished Tales 1st Ed, 1st Print

Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538


Morinehtar wrote:
I see a lot of those "true first edition" claims, some priced at around $400 with a faded spine! It is also worrisome that several sellers use "Near Fine" to describe copies ranging from Fine to VG.


Dogfark on eBay is one of the worst for making those claims, and suggesting real collectors would only ever bother with Clowes. Of course, he had an overpriced Clowes for sale..


By Stu

Re: Unfinished Tales 1st Ed, 1st Print

Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538


Trotter wrote:
Stu,

Thanks for posting your images of UT, your spine is in a much less faded condition than mine, is yours a 1st/1st impression as my copy has a GA&U price sticker for £7.50 and yours looks like it is nearly £9, pretty big price increase by GA&U at the time.

Does anyone own a copy with a GA&U price sticker of less than £7.50, i.e. was it sold for less?



Yes, is 1st/1st, but was in a GA&U box that also contained 1st/2nds and various other GA&U books (including Silmarillions). I have no reason to believe that the DJ was swapped from a later impression.


By Stu

Re: UT and Sil 1st Ed, 1st Print

Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538


Morinehtar wrote:
Follow-up PM sent.

I think maybe I just worry too much.

The copy with minimal bubbling is a Clowes, so I think its worth it. Since that is the only defect I think you can grade it as F book with NF jacket with no fading. I mean this is a book that is 40 years old anyways and you can't expect perfection - in fact looks better than a lot of new books I get on mail!

Regarding UT there are no decent copies out there right now. I will just wait for now.



I tend to think you can expect fairly close to perfection on common titles, even taking into account the age. Remember the 250,000 copy print run! If not close to perfect, the book should at least be fairly cheap!


By Stu

Re: UT and Sil 1st Ed, 1st Print

Joined:
Aug 10, 2008
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Posts: 1538

I don't actually have a Clowes copy. Khamul is your man with regards to The Silmarillion.

There are a few different states, if that takes your collecting fancy. If I ever see a really fine Clowes, I'll probably pick one up, but usually it is too much effort to chase up eBay sellers and find out which copy they are selling.


1 ... 42 43 (44) 45 46 ... 142
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us