Shirrif

Nope, none of them were "leather"!

Re: The Fall of Gondolin

From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I think you mean they were not leather, they were "leather".

Leatherette is the right term I was supposed to use, I think.

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Neil should really change that.

BH

By Stu

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Urulöké wrote:
I believe all the other volumes went to leather in later impressions, but I don't think The Silmarillion ever had a cloth slipcase. If you are willing to have a later slipcase, you can get all leather.

The Sil is the only one that didn't have a cloth slipcase in any impression. The HoME volumes were all cloth, LoTR had 2 of each and The Hobbit had 1 of each. Annoyingly, I'm missing the 3rd impression of LoTR -- but I have two 2nd impressions, so if someone wants a cloth one and has a third (faux-leather), I'd be willing to swap.

Apr 12 - in General Collecting Forum (edited)
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Alan Lee talks about the Fall of Gondolin on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, one hour and 45 minutes in.

Here is the link to the programme, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09y6zfp

By Eorl

Group:
Shirefolk

Oh nice. That’s something to look forward to ;)

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Another BBC Interview with Alan Lee, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0642knt

By Eorl

Group:
Shirefolk

Thanks Trotter. The interviews were shorter than I would’ve liked ( ) but Alan Lee summarised the story rather accurately.

I was hoping his answer to the question about illustrations would’ve given away some clues, but I’m happy to wait and be surprised too.

1 (2)
© 2018 TolkienGuide.com and respective authors. Contact Us