Tolkien Collector's Guide
Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth Collector's Edition pictures
1 2 (3) 4

Re: Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth Collector's Edition pictures

Group:
Shirefolk

I visited Oxford today and was really impressed with the exhibition. The maps are wonderful. The watercolors even more stunning. But the Pauline Baynes posters, I have to admit, floored me.

In the end I found the regular hardcover of the Maker of Middle Earth to be a very nicely put together book and I could not see the value in the deluxe version, at all. I did walk away with something I have not seen discussed anywhere, and is not offered in the online shop. They are offering sets of 4 lithographs of key pieces of art in two different boxed sets. One for The Hobbit and one for Lord of the Rings. I found the LOTR picks rather odd and not attractive in comparison to the Hobbit, which I did take home. The price isn't great, 150 pounds, but these are hand numbered, limited to 250 and stamped/embossed lithographs on what appears to be high quality paper complete with ragged edges. The entire set comes in a nice box of similar design and production to the outer case of the deluxe Maker volume. I picked up set 21 today and if they are going in order suggests a sale of around 2 per day.

From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Thanks for mentioning those Tapuvae! I have been meaning to but things have been crazy and I keep forgetting a bunch of things I want to do.

I ended up getting the LOTR set out of personal preference (could only afford one of the two sets of four). It will be a part of the unboxing video I seem to have committed myself to make, the package is sitting on my office floor next to me now.

I agree that the Hobbit selection was more colorful and iconic. For my personal feelings, I have (and have seen) those prints a lot of times in so many ways, while the LOTR artwork is much less strongly represented. I am heavily a LOTR collector rather than Hobbit personally, as well. The LOTR I am assuming will be selling slightly slower than the Hobbit lithos.

(I got #3 for the LOTR prints, which I found quite fitting).

If anyone happens to be there in the future, could you get a picture of the display wall that has all eight lithos? I confirmed with the staff that pictures in the shop are fine, but then never had a moment when there were no people in the shop to get the pics I wanted and my last visit never materialized.

By Stu

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Well, my standard hardback arrived this morning (undamaged, amazingly). Looks like it is going to be a really good read (and very good value). Definitely glad I cancelled my pre-order for the Deluxe, though -- I would have been a bit disappointed, to be honest.

Group:
Shirefolk

Yes I meant to get a shot of the wall of eight. They had them nicely displayed. Considering there is no marketing for these I suspect all sales are people literally discovering them on the spot, and dropping the 150 pounds right there.

I do agree that I am more of a LOTR collector but the Hobbit prints were just so vibrant and their set of 4 perfectly represented the most striking pieces on display (in my opinion).

Sadly, they are so well packed that I am afraid I am one of those people that tends to leave things wrapped, though I bought them fully with the intent to frame them... Maybe one of my kids will undue the wrapping while I am not looking.

I could see these being added to the website eventually. The staff member told me they were not online because they were a limited edition. Well this fails to explain because the deluxe book is limited as well.

From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I got around to making an unboxing video for all the stuff I got in Oxford. Enjoy! (As my first video like this, I know how bad it is.... sorry!)

By Eorl

Group:
Shirefolk

That’s some great stuff you got there, Jeremy. The Spring catalogue is quite nice. I had sent them a message asking after it a month or so back, but was directed to the Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth book. Oh well!

From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I have asked them if they have any remaining (if not, I have a few spares). We'll get you one!

Jun 14 - in General Collecting Forum (edited)
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

One small note I forgot to comment on yesterday. Tapuvae (Chris) said:

But the Pauline Baynes posters, I have to admit, floored me.

Perhaps just a slip, but those were not posters - those were the original two paintings! It was amazing to me as well to be able to get up so close and see them in such detail.

By Eorl

Group:
Shirefolk

Urulöké wrote:
I have asked them if they have any remaining (if not, I have a few spares). We'll get you one!

Aww thanks Jeremy. That’s very kind of you :)

Group:
Shirefolk

Oh yes, I knew they were original art, but I know them as posters since they were produced for sale that way. In my head I always imagined some cleanup happened between the original painting and produced poster. Perhaps too much digital world immersion for me. But no, these were beautiful in execution.

1 2 (3) 4
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us