Publication dates of TLotR centenary editions

Jan 12 - in Research Questions
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Lawrence_C wrote:
I'm terribly sorry to disturb you in this manner. I wonder if I could ask you a question? The exact publication dates of The Lord of the Rings centenary editions have always remained a mystery to me. Different resources state differently. The one-volume editions, which include a) “ordinary” edition and b) deluxe edition, were published earlier than the three-volume slipcased editions, i.e. c) “ordinary” edition and d) deluxe edition, as I understand it. For example, as for the date for the publication of the one-volume edition, some resources claim July 1991, whereas some others claim December 1991. I’m afraid that I’m completely confused. Do you happen to know these "dates"? I would be most obliged if you could help me clarify with them.

Best regards, Lawrence

I don't know the answer to this, so was wondering if anyone does?

I assume that Lawrence is referring to the HarperCollins editions, but if you know the HM dates as well, then that would also be useful.

Re: Publication dates of TLotR centenary editions

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

HarperCollins one-volume trade ("ordinary") Centenary edition: 19 September 1991

HarperCollins one-volume limited ("deluxe") Centenary edition: 12 December 1991

Houghton Mifflin one-volume Centenary editions (limited and trade): 12 November 1991

Wayne Hammond

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Wayne,

Thanks a lot for that

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

For what it's worth there are entries for those one-volume editions in Hammond's 'A Descriptive Bibliography' (in fact they are the last entries of the LotR section)... pages 172-176.

Jan 14 - in Research Questions
Group:
Shirefolk

Thank you Wayne!

All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us