Tolkien Collector's Guide
Hobbit facsimile gift set

Hobbit facsimile gift set

Jan 23 (edited)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Facsim ... it+Facsimile+Gift+Edition

This sumptuous gift set includes a replica of the very rare first edition of The Hobbit, the only edition where one can now read the original version of the story before Tolkien re-edited it to become the one enjoyed by readers since 1951.

The Hobbit was published on 21 September 1937, with a print run of 1,500 copies. With a beautiful cover design, nearly a dozen black & white illustrations and two black & red maps by the author himself, the book proved to be popular and was reprinted shortly afterwards. History was already being made.

The scarcity of the first edition has resulted in copies commanding huge prices, way beyond the reach of most Tolkien fans. In addition, subsequent changes to the text – particularly those to chapter 5, when Tolkien decided in 1947 to revise the text to bring it better into accord with events as they were developing in its ‘sequel’, The Lord of the Rings – mean that the opportunity to read the book in its original form and format has become quite difficult.

This special commemorative gift set includes the first edition, so that readers of all ages – not just ‘children between the ages of 5 and 9’, as Rayner Unwin famously declared in his report on the original submission – can finally enjoy Tolkien’s story as it originally appeared. It also includes an exclusive CD of archive recordings that capture Tolkien reading from The Hobbit, a special copy of Thror’s map which reveals the secret moon-runes when held to the light, and an accompanying booklet that relates the history of The Hobbit, and includes connected writings by JRR Tolkien.

10_5a67aebaa8ea8.jpg 1500X2502 px
Load previous replies
Jan 27
I can't disagree with you Stu, my boxed sets from Amazon.co.uk have been horribly packed for my last few orders.

The first copy of the three volume Companion and Guide sent to me was so badly damaged that Amazon paid for me to return it to them and sent me a free replacement - the return shipping was more than the cost of the set! Crazy.
Jan 30
I am going to get this one from Speedyhen as in this case, I am in no hurry on delivery, they are currently at £32.83 plus free UK delivery, but I can't order as yet.

https://www.speedyhen.com/Product/J-R- ... ile-Gift-Edition/21650088
Jul 19
Has anyone gotten it? Any report?
Jul 19
It is slightly better than the first attempt, but the colours seem to still be a bugbear. The Jacket is too dark and the boards are too bright. The top-stain is less lurid than the last attempt, which is a good thing. Overall the book is undoubtedly an improvement, albeit a minor one.

Worth buying for the CD, but probably not for the book itself if you already have a facsimile first edition. It seems to be heavily discounted, so at least it is fairly inexpensive.

The Lenticular print on the cover is not only a bad technical implementation of a lenticular print, it makes the box look bad. Without the print, the box would be quite nice. I never will understand publishers.
Jul 19
I bought it for the CD and booklet. I did so though with a serious gripe at HarperCollins making us buy a gift box to obtain an unreleased lecture, no matter how incidental, an unreleased Tolkien text should not be thrown into a gift set as the hook.
Sep 6
Can't remember if this was mentioned or not; but the "Gift Set" facsimile edition doesn't carry an updated copyright page except in respect to the printer, right? I only opened this yesterday & the copyright page still says 2016 (1st imp.) even though it was published in 2018. The box itself carries a new ISBN (& mentions 2018) but the book does not. The original 2016 facsimile Ed. was printed in Italy & the 2018 was printed in China. I haven't being paying much attention to the Chinese reprints (generally) but I take it this is typical of their failure to update copyrights? I can understand impression numbering being missed (although annoying for collectors), but this book doesn't even have the correct date. That said, it is essentially just another printing of the 2016 edition.
Sep 6
Yeah, I noticed it was incorrect when I got my copy. Fair enough to leave the date as 2016, but the number-line should have been adjusted. I figured they no longer seem to be bothering to change them when they switch over to the Chinese printers, as we have seen this again and again. Makes a bit of a mockery of collecting first impressions (although I don't think anything released of late is really "collectable", so meh).
Sep 6
But I thought these were only available for a limited time? And really collectable...

Sep 6
How is the shade of red in the black-and-red maps? Is it dark red like in the 2016 edition, or a brighter red closer to the first edition?
Jump to Last