Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 4:02:04 PM UTC
Cheers!
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 4:04:42 PM UTC
There is discussion of Christopher's response and the author's reaction to that in the comments of this review here:

http://themidhavens.net/heretic_lorem ... kanes-arda-reconstructed/

This quote from Doug Kane (author of the book):
It is important to realize that the “report” that Rhapsody quotes from is reporting on a sample of a much earlier and very different version of my manuscript that I sent to Christopher through the Tolkien Estate, as a courtesy. That version literally tracks the differences between the source material and the published text word by word and punctuation mark by punctuation mark. Christopher’s response to me through the Estate was brief; he did not send me this whole report. He did indicate that HoMe could not be relied on to determine what changes were made with manuscript authority. He also indicated that he did not believe that such a line by line comparison would be of sufficient interest to justify publication. He therefore politely refused to offer any assistance in moving forward with the project (which meant I was not going to get access to the actual manuscripts).

After getting this feedback, and other feedback, I radically changed the work, moving all of the tracing of the source material into the tables, and only commenting in the text on the most significant differences and trends in the choices that I felt clearly were shown to have been made. And I made sure to include the disclaimer at the beginning of the book that has already been quoted here about the limitations that I was working under.

The letter (that Rhapsody quoted from) is printed in full and discussed more fully here: http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2250
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 8:41:01 PM UTC
Thanks both... I had actually read through all that years ago, I don't know how I forgot, a very interesting and passionate discussion to be sure.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us