Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1st Ed. History of Middle Earth Dustjackets

22 Jan, 2019
2019-1-22 4:16:22 AM UTC

Hello,

I am in the process of trying to acquire an entire set of the History of Middle Earth.
I have looked through hundreds of listings and a dozen sellers to acquire a set with perfect dustjackets, but to no avail.

However, I have examined images of the dustjackets and through my novice eyes, I noted that technically there isn't a difference between 1st edition jackets in different states/impression. Does this mean i can just focus on acquiring the books in perfect condition, and acquire dustjackets separately from other editions to make my set "perfect?"

Or am I missing something here? Is there a difference in dustjackets between different states/impressions?
22 Jan, 2019
2019-1-22 4:50:50 AM UTC
I just wanted to reiterate that I am looking for an entire set of 1st Edition, 1st State (Impression) set.

I do not see any difference in dustjackets that were issued for 1st Edition 1st State and 1st Edition 2nd State and as such, I figured I can "swap" them to complete the set.
22 Jan, 2019 (edited)
2019-1-22 5:06:55 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
Hello,

I am in the process of trying to acquire an entire set of the History of Middle Earth.
I have looked through hundreds of listings and a dozen sellers to acquire a set with perfect dustjackets, but to no avail.

However, I have examined images of the dustjackets and through my novice eyes, I noted that technically there isn't a difference between 1st edition jackets in different states/impression. Does this mean i can just focus on acquiring the books in perfect condition, and acquire dustjackets separately from other editions to make my set "perfect?"

Or am I missing something here? Is there a difference in dustjackets between different states/impressions?

There are certainly differences for some of the volumes, for instance there are three or four different states of the Shaping of Middle Earth jacket, just for the first impression (that's an unusual one, though). You usually have priced/unpriced, sometimes a price sticker, etc. Other than price, not sure what differences there are in same-publisher later impressions, versus the last state of the firsts (other than Unwin Hyman, where the logo changed, e.g. from the first to second impression of The Lost Road). Not all volumes will have multiple states, other than priced/unpriced/stickered/clipped

Personally I am very uncomfortable with passing off later jackets (e.g. from a second impression) as being earlier ones (but then I have fine copies of all of them in fine/as new jackets, so I don't need to engage in any shenanigans.) I guess putting a priced jacket on a same-impression book that was originally in an unpriced jacket is fairly harmless.

Edit: State and Impression are not the same thing in my description above. Each first impression of HoME has two or more states.
22 Jan, 2019
2019-1-22 5:28:50 AM UTC
Once again, thank you very much for the sage advice!

I did not even know that such discrepencies even existed between books in same edition, but varying impressions.

When you state that you already own a set of fine books that come with fine dustjackets, may I ask how picky you are in defining the term "fine" for these set?

I have corresonded dozens of sellers who state that their dustjacets are fine, but they all have rubbings visible. I even had one seller responding me back with uncouth remarks, letting me know that I am being overly and unreasonably picky with the condition (he also said his dustjackets are fine!).

May I ask where you drew your line? Are your dustjackets completely void of single scratch? Are your dustjackets completely void of even a single slight rubbings?

I am currently in the talks of acquiring this set as shown below and I have posted the sample of the dustjackets. Do you believe these qualify as "fine?"

4684_5c46a9a03ee61.jpg 2520X1448 px

4684_5c46a9b04a111.jpg 2452X1416 px

4684_5c46aa0ac6e3b.jpg 2492X1460 px
22 Jan, 2019
2019-1-22 7:06:29 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

I did not even know that such discrepencies even existed between books in same edition, but varying impressions.

When you state that you already own a set of fine books that come with fine dustjackets, may I ask how picky you are in defining the term "fine" for these set?

I have corresonded dozens of sellers who state that their dustjacets are fine, but they all have rubbings visible. I even had one seller responding me back with uncouth remarks, letting me know that I am being overly and unreasonably picky with the condition (he also said his dustjackets are fine!).

May I ask where you drew your line? Are your dustjackets completely void of single scratch? Are your dustjackets completely void of even a single slight rubbings?

I am currently in the talks of acquiring this set as shown below and I have posted the sample of the dustjackets. Do you believe these qualify as "fine?"

My "A" set of first impressions are pretty much as new. I've had them since they came out, so they were all orders from the local physical book store straight home. Then I read the paperbacks when they came out. The only exception is PoME, which I had to purchase later, and would still be classified as fine, but you wouldn't say it is quite "as new", I don't think. They are all packed away since my last house move -- I have a "B" set on display, which are not quite as good (but still would be classified as fine by most book dealers, I think). You will probably not be able to avoid a little bit of fine rubbing on some of these, as that is how they came new (Shaping in particular).

The jackets in your images would probably count as fine (but not "as new") for these titles, I think.

You should expect significant browning to the page edges of PoME and WotJ. This is due to the acidity in the paper (which is very poor quality), and they are all like that.
24 Jan, 2019
2019-1-24 5:16:55 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

The_Antiquarian wrote:

My "A" set of first impressions are pretty much as new. I've had them since they came out, so they were all orders from the local physical book store straight home. Then I read the paperbacks when they came out. The only exception is PoME, which I had to purchase later, and would still be classified as fine, but you wouldn't say it is quite "as new", I don't think. They are all packed away since my last house move -- I have a "B" set on display, which are not quite as good (but still would be classified as fine by most book dealers, I think). You will probably not be able to avoid a little bit of fine rubbing on some of these, as that is how they came new (Shaping in particular).

The jackets in your images would probably count as fine (but not "as new") for these titles, I think.

You should expect significant browning to the page edges of PoME and WotJ. This is due to the acidity in the paper (which is very poor quality), and they are all like that.

Stu, your insight is as always, greatly appreciated. Thanks!
25 Jan, 2019
2019-1-25 7:19:56 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Stu wrote:

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Stu, your insight is as always, greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not a problem. One thing I would say is probably don't get too hung up on the definitions of fine, near fine, etc. IOBA does have specific definitions, but sellers and collectors all have different ideas of what constitutes what, so they are a bit meaningless. I got a "Very Good" 60s Hobbit that looked brand new from a dealer, and I've been sold things as "fine" that were only Very Good (more often the way it works). The best bet is just to get photos (as you have done) and just decide if you are happy. Definitely get advice on here as to what might be "as good as you might realistically expect", though, as some books were just flawed out of the door (e.g. The Inklings, which fades into oblivion at the slightest hint of light, so finding a perfect copy may be impossible).
6 March
2024-3-6 3:45:45 PM UTC
Does anybody know why both priced and unpriced dustjackets were printed for the original hardback editions of The War of the Jewels and Peoples, especially since both volumes had only one impression? Were books with unpriced dustjackets sold through BCA and priced ones through regular book shops?

(Added this here, as I did not want to make a separate topic for this question and it seemed to fit here.)

6 March
2024-3-6 5:06:55 PM UTC

Éarendel wrote:

Does anybody know why both priced and unpriced dustjackets were printed for the original hardback editions of The War of the Jewels and Peoples, especially since both volumes had only one impression? Were books with unpriced dustjackets sold through BCA and priced ones through regular book shops?

(Added this here, as I did not want to make a separate topic for this question and it seemed to fit here.)

The same thing occurs on Sauron Defeated (the last of HoMe to be included in Hammond's Bibliography when it went to press). 3000 copies are noted as being published with the price on the dustjacket. Hammond goes on to say "An additional 2,000 copies of the first impression were printed for sale to book club members, identical to A29a except with no price printed on the dust-jacket." (Bibliography p. 277)

I don't know the print numbers for WJ and P, but it is safe to assume they had the same concept - some jackets without price for selling to book club members.
6 March
2024-3-6 10:44:03 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Éarendel wrote:

The same thing occurs on Sauron Defeated (the last of HoMe to be included in Hammond's Bibliography when it went to press). 3000 copies are noted as being published with the price on the dustjacket. Hammond goes on to say "An additional 2,000 copies of the first impression were printed for sale to book club members, identical to A29a except with no price printed on the dust-jacket." (Bibliography p. 277)

I don't know the print numbers for WJ and P, but it is safe to assume they had the same concept - some jackets without price for selling to book club members.

For the Treason of Isengard I have both versions of the UK first. One with a price and one without.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us