Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Jun, 2020
2020-6-25 2:56:14 PM UTC
Oh I see what you mean now - my guess that if it were placed in the same spot as the other 2, it would obstruct MORE of the image. I suspect that it was done to minimize the image being blocked off by it.

Checking my Great Tales (Harpercollins editions, yet I collectively refer to them as that), I see that The Children of Hurin and Beren and Luthien have it centred, while The Fall of Gondolin has it more aligned to the right.
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:10:26 AM UTC

insurrbution wrote:
What does the Nazgul frontispiece look like, the first few pages into The Fellowship of the Ring?

Barring colour it is the same as the previous version from the 1991 edition. Just slightly darker.

I think the illustrations look better in the new edition, it doesn't use the glossy photo paper which is always an improvement imo.
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 11:47:40 AM UTC
Gosh, it sells at almost 56€ on Amazon.it right now. Trying hard not to hit the "purchase now" button.
"I don't really need a 9th copy of LOTR, I don't really need a 9th copy of LOTR..."
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 12:46:14 PM UTC

Max wrote:
Gosh, it sells at almost 56€ on Amazon.it right now. Trying hard not to hit the "purchase now" button.
"I don't really need a 9th copy of LOTR, I don't really need a 9th copy of LOTR..."

Thanks for this, bought a copy from Amazon.it for £56 including delivery to the UK, amazon.co.uk is £88.

This was close enough to £50 for me that I went ahead.
26 Jun, 2020 (edited)
2020-6-26 1:58:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the info - this is how it was presented in the one-book 60th anniversary illustrated edition, so was curious if it stuck to that, or is the one page format most of us have seen and are used to: https://www.tolkienguide.com/uploads/newbb/10_53a32f3aae7de.jpg . (someone on this site took this photo, dunno who!) Trotter Edit, I did

That very minor detail aside, it looks like the new 4-book set may be the best illustrated edition by Alan Lee yet.
30 Jun, 2020
2020-6-30 5:40:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the pics! Wow this set is gorgeous. Do we know if there will be a US release by Houghton Mifflin, or no? If not what might be the best way to get ahold of this in the US?

I hope with the matching Unfinished Tales coming soon, it means that there will also be a Silmarillion to match.
30 Jun, 2020
2020-6-30 5:48:57 PM UTC
Agreed about The Silmarillion to match. HMH and HC are both publishing the anniversary edition of Unfinished Tales in October.

Not sure about this EXACT edition being published by Houghon Mifflin, though bear in mind that their 2002 Lord of the Rings boxed set is still in print, as is their 2004 Silmarillion.

Not quite the same thing, but it's an option.
30 Jun, 2020
2020-6-30 5:59:50 PM UTC

dewater wrote:
Thanks for the pics! Wow this set is gorgeous. Do we know if there will be a US release by Houghton Mifflin, or no? If not what might be the best way to get ahold of this in the US?

I hope with the matching Unfinished Tales coming soon, it means that there will also be a Silmarillion to match.

I have not heard from Houghton Mifflin about a matching set. It is always possible that they will do one eventually (or soon and haven't shared that info!). In the meantime, it can be challenging in the current world situation to get heavy books sent to the USA.

For purchasing from international booksellers, here are a few options I see today:
  • Amazon UK - some days it tells me they won't ship to the USA, some days they will but it is expensive. Today, I see the latter (it is about £40 additional shipping cost for a £88 book price!)
  • Blackwells - see below for link. US price (today) is $133.70 including shipping, this can change from day to day.
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings
J. R. R. Tolkien (author), Alan Lee (illustrator), J. R. R. Tolkien
(hardback (slipcased))
$144.77
Availability: Usually dispatched within 24 hours
30 Jun, 2020
2020-6-30 7:35:39 PM UTC
Oh oh, Urulókë is posting links to buying stuff again!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us