Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Nov, 2020
2020-11-10 10:56:38 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

The seller is Peter Harrington (ABA, ILAB), a VERY well-known and HIGHLY respected seller of fine antiquarian and otherwise rare books. That should inspire trust, since any strike on their reputation would be hugely costly to them. I expect they obtained the book directly from the estate of Christopher Lee, and/or can otherwise document the provenance.

That being said, I wouldn't pay this much for this book even if it were ex libris Christopher Tolkien, let alone Christopher Lee. But your/others' mileage may vary.

I agree re Peter Harrington, BUT if the buyer onsells the book, s/he needs documented provenance because s/he won't be Peter Harrington, so any value/trust attributed to Peter will be lost. I don't really trust these bookplated editions at all, given the forgery problems associated with them.

In this case, the only real value I see to its origin is that it is much less likely to be one of the many fake bookplates floating around.
10 Nov, 2020
2020-11-10 11:03:27 PM UTC
Christopher Lee probably picked up his copy on eBay so I'm not sure if that logic sticks, Stu...
10 Nov, 2020
2020-11-10 11:04:37 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Christopher Lee probably picked up his copy on eBay so I'm not sure if that logic sticks, Stu...

You think? Wasn't he at one of the signings or am I mis-remembering? I recollect at the time people getting a few of the cast members including Bernard Hill and CL signing.
10 Nov, 2020
2020-11-10 11:05:45 PM UTC
10 Nov, 2020
2020-11-10 11:16:39 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

You think? Wasn't he at one of the signings or am I mis-remembering? I recollect at the time people getting a few of the cast members including Bernard Hill and CL signing.

Yes it was the release party at Waterford's of London.
10 Nov, 2020
2020-11-10 11:22:17 PM UTC
I don't recall Christopher Lee attending that - just Bernard Hill. Looking back at photographic evidence from that event doesn't show him attending either.

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/the ... %20hurin&sort=mostpopular
10 Nov, 2020
2020-11-10 11:49:56 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I don't recall Christopher Lee attending that - just Bernard Hill. Looking back at photographic evidence from that event doesn't show him attending either.

He was a wizard. I'm sure he wouldn't be seen if he didn't want to.
11 Nov, 2020
2020-11-11 1:00:20 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I thought PJ cut him out of those photos
11 Nov, 2020
2020-11-11 6:15:13 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I'd hope I would have noticed him when I attended the event, CL is quite hard to miss
11 Nov, 2020
2020-11-11 9:05:47 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

I thought PJ cut him out of those photos

Haha. Yes probably that :)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us