Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Jan, 2021
2021-1-24 1:32:26 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

It's not any different. But Stu stated the caveat:

[Edit: The original poster has deleted this thread, so worth considering that it might not have contained all pertinent facts, because "internet"]

So I thought it worth emphasizing that we don't appear to know all the facts here.

Ahha I see. Saying "I think I'd caution criticism of René over some trash talking on Reddit." is not really exphasizing that though, just trashing Reddit, now I understand your point, and agree.

Thank you for explaining.

You should read into my tone that I am very much criticising Reddit here too; it does have an enormous amount of ill-informed book comment. In fact, some of the few sensible voices on there are people who are clearly TCG members!

Plus, Stu's comment clearly illustrate that the seller was being criticized for something without having the benefit of normal recourse to rectify; namely processing a return. We're not seeing the other side of this "dispute". That's really the only caution I was advising.

I'm not saying people shouldn't post these sort of topics though.
24 Jan, 2021
2021-1-24 3:15:58 PM UTC
What, you don't like the subreddit?! Really?! How could you not adore the semi-weekly posts asking what the best illustrated books are or someone asking every two days which paperbacks are available in a matching set?
24 Jan, 2021
2021-1-24 4:19:20 PM UTC
I don't wish to get into an argument with any of you about Reddit but I think you are all a bit too critical. It is a worldwide site that atracts a myriad of users and while there is of course some repetition with information about books the community itself offers some very worthwhile debate and well researched conversation.

Khamûl your original comment said "I think I'd caution criticism of René over some trash talking on Reddit", that is pretty specific. The OP over there does not seem to be trash talking and posted their experience to a group that while not as informed as the group here are also collecting Tolkien. I help dozens of users regularly over there with information about Tolkien books and I find the majority are really quite enthusiastic about it. If Jeremy or Stu had posted the same images and experience here your reaction would be different, you would not be saying they were "trash talking".

My point is that while some of you may not like the Reddit platform, there is a worthwhile community there if one is willing to filter out the rubbish. But I tell you this, Reddits tolkienfans community are discussing far more and far deeper subjects than the Tolkien Society's own Facebook group.
24 Jan, 2021
2021-1-24 5:27:03 PM UTC
I have to agree with onthetrail - I'm not sure why the reddit bashing, specifically. It isn't an especially useful forum for people like us, but it serves its purpose for those that use it. Seller trashing has not been an issue I have seen there. In this case, I think the OP was posting out of frustration at having received a book that was shockingly awful. I didn't really see "trash talking" and I think that is an unfair characterisation of the post.

My personal opinion is that if you are a dealer, you weed out the junk and toss it. If you are an eBay random, you try and get a tenner for it. That particular book being sold by any dealer is going to legitimately get laughed at online. I wouldn't personally have been touching it without nitrile gloves.

FWIW, If I was the buyer in an extreme example like this, I would have posted up the book and images (and original description, because I always screenshot these days) without necessarily providing the dealer the right to rectify first. As a supplier, once the product goes out of the door, the buyer has the right to comment on it. I treat this a little differently than a faulty product slipping out of the door.
24 Jan, 2021
2021-1-24 5:42:34 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

I don't wish to get into an argument with any of you about Reddit but I think you are all a bit too critical. It is a worldwide site that atracts a myriad of users and while there is of course some repetition with information about books the community itself offers some very worthwhile debate and well researched conversation.

Khamûl your original comment said "I think I'd caution criticism of René over some trash talking on Reddit", that is pretty specific. The OP over there does not seem to be trash talking and posted their experience to a group that while not as informed as the group here are also collecting Tolkien. I help dozens of users regularly over there with information about Tolkien books and I find the majority are really quite enthusiastic about it. If Jeremy or Stu had posted the same images and experience here your reaction would be different, you would not be saying they were "trash talking".

My point is that while some of you may not like the Reddit platform, there is a worthwhile community there if one is willing to filter out the rubbish. But I tell you this, Reddits tolkienfans community are discussing far more and far deeper subjects than the Tolkien Society's own Facebook group.

I'm not sure what "community" or communites you're referring to, but the only Tolkien related subreddit I follow is r/tolkienbooks. So, I'm really only talking about this subreddit, a community (unlike this one) that I'm not part of. Should I be looking at some other subreddit?
24 Jan, 2021
2021-1-24 5:58:31 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

I have to agree with onthetrail - I'm not sure why the reddit bashing, specifically. It isn't an especially useful forum for people like us, but it serves its purpose for those that use it. Seller trashing has not been an issue I have seen there. In this case, I think the OP was posting out of frustration at having received a book that was shockingly awful. I didn't really see "trash talking" and I think that is an unfair characterisation of the post.

My "some trash talking" was a throw-away comment, why are you guys focusing on this so much? All I advised was caution. Reputable dealer; someone posts pictures of purchase; other posters are making unfounded comments (Stu: speculation that he had been refused a refund (which is not the case)); OP deletes thread.

I don't think there was anything particularly controversial about what I originally said.
24 Jan, 2021
2021-1-24 6:42:40 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I'm not sure what "community" or communites you're referring to, but the only Tolkien related subreddit I follow is r/tolkienbooks. So, I'm really only talking about this subreddit, a community (unlike this one) that I'm not part of. Should I be looking at some other subreddit?

Apologies, I was grouping tolkienbooks and tolkienfans into one as there is so much crosover between the two subs.
24 Jan, 2021
2021-1-24 9:49:09 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Apologies, I was grouping tolkienbooks and tolkienfans into one as there is so much crosover between the two subs.

No need to apologise. Also, I'm not on FB, but I'll take your word for it in respect to your point about r/tolkienfans discussion vs. TS FB. I'm sure you're correct.
27 Jan, 2021
2021-1-27 9:17:48 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: rare-book-cellar
(9863)
Ended Feb 27, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
27 Jan, 2021
2021-1-27 9:46:17 PM UTC

Totally daft price.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us