-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By NoUse
Not too shy to talk

Tolkien Studies VI (2009)

23 Jan, 2021
2021-1-23 6:16:58 PM UTC

Hi,

I'm looking for a physical copy of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, Vol. VI (2009). I've been looking for one on the web for quite a while now, but so far without luck. Does anyone have an idea where I could find one or maybe even own a copy they would sell?

Thank you
23 Jan, 2021
2021-1-23 6:54:12 PM UTC
That one took me a long time to track down, at this point I would say it is probably the hardest issue to find, of the ones that are out of print. Good luck! Maybe someone here has a copy they are willing to part with, or it may just take patience and an eagle eye to find a copy for sale onling.
23 Jan, 2021
2021-1-23 9:29:30 PM UTC
I'm still looking for numbers 8 and 11 myself. I was lucky to find #6 and some others a few years ago on eBay. There are definitely a small handful of volumes that come up very infrequently.
30 Jan, 2021
2021-1-30 4:15:14 PM UTC
I was also able to track down the other OOP volumes a few years ago, but so far I had no luck with number 6. Finding the last missing volume(s) can be frustrating at times.

So if anyone here comes across a copy for sale or wants to sell their own copy, please think of me! (...and of Berelach for numbers 8 and 11, of course.)
3 Feb, 2021
2021-2-3 9:37:24 PM UTC
Same here; I've been hunting for 6 for ages. Also missing 8 and 11. I've never even seen one for sale, but it looks like a copy of 6 sold on eBay less than a year ago. I mostly don't understand why an academic journal would stop printing copies of volumes that came out only a decade ago, particularly when they contain items of interest for one of the most obsessively scrupulous fanbases of all time, ready and willing to fork over all sorts of money for obscure items... but whatever I guess. Good luck to everyone on their searches. May we all find what we're looking for.
3 Feb, 2021 (edited)
2021-2-3 10:06:52 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

I've never even seen one for sale, but it looks like a copy of 6 sold on eBay less than a year ago.

That was me buying it, sorry guys. ? I'm now all caught up though with back issues.

Philomythos wrote:

I mostly don't understand why an academic journal would stop printing copies of volumes that came out only a decade ago, particularly when they contain items of interest for one of the most obsessively scrupulous fanbases of all time, ready and willing to fork over all sorts of money for obscure items... but whatever I guess. Good luck to everyone on their searches. May we all find what we're looking for.

I assume (just guessing) because these "hard to find" issues are all the ones with primary Tolkien material being printed for the first time, that the Estate permission did not include reprinting ad infinitum. [Update] with digital copies still available, this assumption doesn't hold water.
3 Feb, 2021 (edited)
2021-2-3 10:25:22 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I assume (just guessing) because these "hard to find" issues are all the ones with primary Tolkien material being printed for the first time, that the Estate permission did not include reprinting ad infinitum.

Is it not available at all i.e. digitally/eBook?
3 Feb, 2021 (edited)
2021-2-3 10:27:07 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

I assume (just guessing) because these "hard to find" issues are all the ones with primary Tolkien material being printed for the first time, that the Estate permission did not include reprinting ad infinitum.

Digital ebooks are available from Volume 2 onward. https://wvupressonline.com/tolkien_digital_edition
3 Feb, 2021
2021-2-3 10:35:53 PM UTC
I corresponded with the WVU press a while back (see image of email), and they said that the reason was that the binding of the older, hardcover volumes 1–11 was prohibitively expensive to produce, and so they stopped printing those and switched over to the new print-on-demand softcovers for vols. 12+. I know at least some of the print-on-demand vols. contain some primary materials. In which case it seems to me they could print the old vols. in softcover and save me a lot of headache.

Are there primary materials in vols. 8 and 11? I know what 6 has in it, but I didn’t think 8 and 11 contained any Tolkien originals.

5109_601b23e94f73b.jpeg 750X486 px
3 Feb, 2021 (edited)
2021-2-3 10:36:59 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Digital ebooks are available from Volume 2 onward. https://wvupressonline.com/tolkien_digital_edition

It's still being published and "reprinted" then. The lack of physical copies is down to something else, I'd suggest basic economics. Doug left for a reason too.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us