Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 11:12:42 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Here are some items I've picked up recently that I'm particularly excited about.

I found this 6th state LOTR Boxset w/ 10th/8th/7th printings
As well as a set without dust wrappers from around the same time period (early 60's)

I also got a Sir Gawain from '52 (pictured here next to my 2nd '30. I had no idea the later printings were smaller)

I also found Essays and Studies '53 with a pretty good dust wrapper
And Fifty New Poems for Children - Appleton '24 The DJ has some loss on the spine but other than that it's all there!

Thats a nice 'essays'. I got this in the mail today:

5187_60ffea16f3d92.jpg 4032X3024 px
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 1:40:48 PM UTC
Peter Jackson made people look like Hobbits with clever perspective shots. I reckon you are just looking at the wrong
Tricksy Hobbitses
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 1:42:39 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Éarendel wrote:

I had no idea Fifty New Poems for Children was also published with a dustjacket! Great additions, and surprised by the size difference between those Gawains.

The American edition got the jacket. The UK editions didn't have one.

Yes, and this is the only one I've ever seen for sale with the wrapper so I couldn't pass it up.
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 2:05:20 PM UTC

northman wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Here are some items I've picked up recently that I'm particularly excited about.

I found this 6th state LOTR Boxset w/ 10th/8th/7th printings
As well as a set without dust wrappers from around the same time period (early 60's)

I also got a Sir Gawain from '52 (pictured here next to my 2nd '30. I had no idea the later printings were smaller)

I also found Essays and Studies '53 with a pretty good dust wrapper
And Fifty New Poems for Children - Appleton '24 The DJ has some loss on the spine but other than that it's all there!

Thats a nice 'essays'. I got this in the mail today:

Awesome! Now there's one I don't have
28 Jul, 2021
2021-7-28 8:19:09 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Éarendel wrote:

I had no idea Fifty New Poems for Children was also published with a dustjacket! Great additions, and surprised by the size difference between those Gawains.

Yes, and this is the only one I've ever seen for sale with the wrapper so I couldn't pass it up.

Was it the one from a Canadian seller.. been online for a bit?
28 Jul, 2021
2021-7-28 1:22:42 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Éarendel wrote:

Was it the one from a Canadian seller.. been online for a bit?

Yes, Berelach. I saved for a couple of months for it hoping it would stick around and it did :)
7 Aug, 2021
2021-8-7 10:46:48 PM UTC
Finally got this edition, new condition. It’s had kind of an incredible journey getting here (Chicago): I bought it from Green Street books, which is based in San Jose, California. On Amazon they were asking something like $500 for it (sic!), but—for reasons best known to themselves—it was only about $50 on Amazon France (same seller, *much* farther shipment). As my spouse has a cousin living in Paris, I bought it and had it shipped to her house. She (the cousin) then brought it home with her to Tunisia, where she (and my spouse’s whole family) is from, and gave it to my spouse’s parents, who have just arrived to visit us here in Chicago, and brought the book with them. Definitely the most complicated Tolkien acquisition to join my collection!

5109_610f0ab8c4a17.jpeg 3024X2888 px
8 Aug, 2021
2021-8-8 6:20:57 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Finally got this edition, new condition. It’s had kind of an incredible journey getting here (Chicago): I bought it from Green Street books, which is based in San Jose, California. On Amazon they were asking something like $500 for it (sic!), but—for reasons best known to themselves—it was only about $50 on Amazon France (same seller, *much* farther shipment). As my spouse has a cousin living in Paris, I bought it and had it shipped to her house. She (the cousin) then brought it home with her to Tunisia, where she (and my spouse’s whole family) is from, and gave it to my spouse’s parents, who have just arrived to visit us here in Chicago, and brought the book with them. Definitely the most complicated Tolkien acquisition to join my collection!

I've noticed something similar for a seller called BooksfromCalifornia. Items on Amazon DE are 5 times cheaper than on Amazon US, really strange.

That said, that's a really nice edition, I only have a paperback.
12 Aug, 2021
2021-8-12 10:32:06 AM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

I would love to see some more pictures of this edition of the Guide. I am already looking where to potentially get it. Can you share your thoughts on the content and the difference between this and other versions of it?
12 Aug, 2021
2021-8-12 3:45:52 PM UTC
I won’t be home for about a week, but I’ll be happy to share more pics at that time. If you like Nasmith’s illustrations and can find a copy that isn’t a fortune, I think it’s well worth it. I just saw another one on eBay for not too much money, but it seems to be gone now. Anyway, even though sellers tend to ask outrageous prices for this edition, they do come up with some frequency, so with patience I think it can be found for a reasonable amount.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us