Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Oct, 2021
2021-10-22 5:53:44 PM UTC
Not sure about the story of where this book came from. Assuming that the story of the original owner is true and there is some provenance to support it, it is more likely I think that this is one of the copies bound in paper covers in July 1937. Tolkien went to London to visit the PUBLISHER in July, not the PRINTER. I think it is quite possible that they would have given him a couple of the paper-bound copies during the visit.
22 Oct, 2021
2021-10-22 9:21:25 PM UTC
My eyes keep getting drawn back. It looks like something from Hellraiser.
22 Oct, 2021
2021-10-22 9:24:52 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

My eyes keep getting drawn back. It looks like something from Hellraiser.
Clive Barker never created anything so vulgar Stu
22 Oct, 2021
2021-10-22 9:39:43 PM UTC
Huh…. Seriously now??

OK… Maybe for that price it’s like a fine bottle of wine that our tastebuds have not yet been trained to appreciate…
7 Jan, 2022
2022-1-7 1:34:12 PM UTC
I'm close to unravelling the whole history. I must thanks you to point out some good directions. Also must thank John D. Ratelif for his invaluable aid. What I can say that this is a very interesting copy and that the dealer description was very close to reality... more info will follow.
7 Jan, 2022
2022-1-7 8:41:38 PM UTC

Beren wrote:

I'm close to unravelling the whole history. I must thanks you to point out some good directions. Also must thank John D. Ratelif for his invaluable aid. What I can say that this is a very interesting copy and that the dealer description was very close to reality... more info will follow.

Be interested in the story. Hopefully it will be rebound more tastefully at some point (as it is definitely in my top 3 worst professional bindings)!
7 Jan, 2022
2022-1-7 8:46:54 PM UTC
I think we should have a TCG award for worst binding on a Tolkien book, this book sets a very high bar.
7 Jan, 2022 (edited)
2022-1-7 9:02:39 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I think we should have a TCG award for worst binding on a Tolkien book, this book sets a very high bar.

Indeed, when I said "top three", I was allowing two unallocated places for the fact that their *might* be two worse ones out there somewhere in the universe, assuming the universe is infinite.
30 Aug, 2023 (edited)
2023-8-30 9:51:33 PM UTC
Sorry to bring up this thread from 2021…

We had this rather “unusual” binding of a Hobbit…and that was fun. But then there was this story of the sheets used that was also interesting:

“This is one of two untrimmed pre-publication sets of sheets that were collected by Tolkien himself from the printers and are printed on slightly different paper stock from the eventual trade edition. It was given by Tolkien to his friend Russell Meiggs for his opinion. After receiving the sheets and reading the final version as it would be published, Meiggs wrote to Tolkien with his thoughts on the book, and Tolkien forwarded Meiggs’s letter to the publishers, noting: “The most valuable is the document I enclose, in case it may interest you: a letter from R. Meiggs (at present editing the Oxford Magazine). He has no reason for sparing my feelings, and is usually a plain speaker. Of course, he has no connexions with reviewing coteries, and is virtually a mere member of the avuncular public.” The first edition was published on September 21, 1937, and the first impression of 1,500 copies was sold out by December.“

Going back and forth trying to determine the facts, Beren posted:

Beren wrote:

So, did we ever get the whole story on this? I don’t know if I missed the conclusions or ?
31 Aug, 2023
2023-8-31 1:02:29 AM UTC
I’m
Sure they could have made it even more ugly…but I swear I don’t know how.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us