Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Dec, 2021
2021-12-21 9:40:01 AM UTC
Thanks everyone !

Trotter wrote:

That looks really good, as you are just starting one thing that I really like is to always have pictures of the spine of books as well as the covers, hopefully you could add spine pictures for the books that do not have them.
Yes, I have restricted myself to 3-4 photos per book / box for the moment to move quickly and have the most important editions, but I can reassure you right away: in the medium term, everyone will have complete photos (not only the spine but also the inner content).

Berelach wrote:

That's great, thanks for adding to the community resources!! Small word of advice if I may, be careful setting goals for yourself; as we all know it's much easier starting something than finishing it. Very nice job so far though, love all the pictures!
Thank you for this precious advice. I must admit that I put the pressure on myself to put the site online before the holidays and since then I have been more relaxed
Having said that, I have already started to think about goals problem.

For the French editions, it's quite simple, I aim for completeness. I will have to be patient in order to find the few works that I still miss but this part of the site will already be very dense so it will not be a problem if there are some gaps.

For the British and American editions, it's more complicated.
I thought it would be best to try and make this part a springboard for those new to these editions. They would discover the basics there and they could then turn to your two reference sites (always both tolkienbooks). The concern with this plan is that I have a nice collection of English editions but very few major works like first editions. It therefore seems delicate to me to be able to make a serious overview of the English and American editions under these conditions.
De facto, I rather plan to simply showcase the beautiful British editions (and somes American ones) that I own, without trying to be exhaustive. It would be useful for beginners that I would then redirect to your sites for more serious research.

I am delighted with the photos that you like because I am not really satisfied with them
27 Dec, 2021
2021-12-27 1:10:19 AM UTC
C'est fantastique, merci, Bergelmir!
11 Jan, 2022
2022-1-11 9:32:51 PM UTC
I know this is not the part that people are interested the more in here but I have made good progress with the UK part recently.

This is all going slowly because my UK editions are mostly nice hardcover books and so it takes a lot longer to take/process the photos for the books with/without the dustwrapper and boxes.
In short, things are progressing slowly but surely, and there is still a lot of work !

Obviously, your comments are welcome
11 Jan, 2022 (edited)
2022-1-11 10:26:02 PM UTC
I like what you have done here Bergelmir. We've been kicking around some ideas on how to revamp the "Guide" portion of the site. Your format is giving me some ideas, also reminding me as to how much work it's going to be
4 Mar, 2022
2022-3-4 10:02:57 AM UTC
A quick message to warn those interested that I have started making the presentation videos and that the first one is dedicated to the new French edition/translation of Tolkien's maps published yesterday by the historical publisher.

The The Map of Tolkien's Middle-earth and The Map of Tolkien's Hobbit now have a complete file and allow an overview of what I would like to do in the long term for the majority of French editions.

As always, opinions/advice/criticisms are greatly appreciated to gradually improve the quality of the result
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us