Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

15 May, 2022 (edited)
2022-5-15 7:18:02 AM UTC
I've been searching for F/NF 1st prints (with leaflet) of the 2 books missing from my collection:

2009 The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun - https://tolkienlibrary.com/tolkien-book-store/CLP0165.htm
2017 The Complete History of Middle-earth

However, even though price is not an issue, I've been unable to find them. Anyone have any tips as to how they'd go about finding these?

I am quite eager to complete my collection and willing to offer about double the standard retail price for these, in case anyone is interested. That'd be about USD 150 for S&G and USD 500 for HoMe.
15 May, 2022
2022-5-15 7:57:27 AM UTC
Looks like you can still buy the Deluxe HoMe from HarperCollins, not sure what impression these are.

https://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmi ... Fvariant%3D32557919207502

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

The Complete History of Middle-Earth: Deluxe (UK, HB)

HarperCollins (2017-09-21)

£240.00 HarperCollins (Other Format) - Availability: Click to check
$231.16 Blackwell's (hardback (slipcased)) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days
$253.10 Biblio (Hardback) - Availability: Click to check
$215.82 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£189.85 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€164.99 Amazon.de (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£190.95 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
£93.50 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check
15 May, 2022
2022-5-15 8:14:41 AM UTC
I saw these, but these stores sell the latest impression and I'm looking for 1st impressions only.

That's why second-hand is my only choice.

Thanks anyways!
15 May, 2022
2022-5-15 8:46:08 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

I've been searching for F/NF 1st prints (with leaflet) of the 2 books missing from my collection:

2009 The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun - https://tolkienlibrary.com/tolkien-book-store/CLP0165.htm
2017 The Complete History of Middle-earth

However, even though price is not an issue, I've been unable to find them. Anyone have any tips as to how they'd go about finding these?

I am quite eager to complete my collection and willing to offer about double the standard retail price for these, in case anyone is interested. That'd be about USD 150 for S&G and USD 500 for HoMe.

I'd suggest you avoid the true first print of HoME (Clays) and get the second print (stated first) from LEGO. The Clays one is rubbish.

You may find that on the used market that the paper insert has been discarded. I keep them for all my books, but I think most people toss them out.
15 May, 2022
2022-5-15 10:03:32 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

I'd suggest you avoid the true first print of HoME (Clays) and get the second print (stated first) from LEGO. The Clays one is rubbish.

You may find that on the used market that the paper insert has been discarded. I keep them for all my books, but I think most people toss them out.

The HoMe LEGO 1st print is my top priority, though it is so difficult to find a specific print of these books that I'd have to settle for a Clays 1st print if it is NF.

I suppose my requirement that the paper insert is included makes success all the more unlikely.
15 May, 2022
2022-5-15 12:01:09 PM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Stu wrote:

The HoMe LEGO 1st print is my top priority, though it is so difficult to find a specific print of these books that I'd have to settle for a Clays 1st print if it is NF.

I suppose my requirement that the paper insert is included makes success all the more unlikely.

You may have to wait a while as 1st prints of these books don't really come up that often on the 2nd hand market. From my view they are relatively new, but not brand new, so anyone who bought a 1st looking to flip it has already done so. It usually takes new releases 15 or 20 years before they reach the 2nd hand market in any sizable numbers.

They will come up every so often though, stay vigilant.
16 Feb, 2023
2023-2-16 6:04:09 PM UTC
Updated the list with 2022 and 2023 releases.
16 Feb, 2023 (edited)
2023-2-16 6:24:47 PM UTC
It is worth pointing out that the current versions for sale are all on the Tolkien Collector's Guide Store https://www.tolkienguide.com/store/#deluxeeditionsfirstseries
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us