Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Jul, 2022
2022-7-17 5:48:23 PM UTC

zionius wrote:

Thanks! So it looks like the translation in my country might use the new design too...

I don't know zionus, but the French maps differs from the Brazilian ones.

965_62d44b54141a7.jpg 1080X1080 px
17 Jul, 2022
2022-7-17 5:56:12 PM UTC

Druss wrote:

I don't know zionus, but the French maps differs from the Brazilian ones.
I think only the covers are different.

5215_62d44d34daa89.jpg 1500X987 px
19 Jul, 2022
2022-7-19 8:52:26 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Druss wrote:

I can answer to that (at least for France). It's because the original publisher (HarperCollins ?) was unable to retrieve the original drawings and/or scans of them ; so the French publisher had to employ a graphic designer to remade them. I suppose it's the same reason for the brazilian edition.

The contract was with Houghton Mifflin, and HarperCollins originally licensed them for the UK market.

A moot point now that HarperCollins has acquired the Houghton Mifflin branch that did Tolkien publishing, so now it is the same publisher. But at the time these translations were in development, it would have been Houghton Mifflin that the French were working with, I believe.

I can confirm this, it is indeed Houghton Mifflin who was unable to provide the original maps.
These have been redrawn but, to my knowledge, these new maps were made by French artists, so I am surprised to find them in the Brazilian edition. I will try to find out !

Independently, a lot of French publications are coming in the fall so if you are interested people, I can give you a complete summary.
19 Jul, 2022
2022-7-19 8:56:49 AM UTC
Would be very interested in this and would add them to the Calendar if you have publication dates.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/calendar/
19 Jul, 2022
2022-7-19 9:21:09 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Would be very interested in this and would add them to the Calendar if you have publication dates.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/calendar/

Alright, I will write a full summary !
19 Jul, 2022
2022-7-19 2:04:36 PM UTC

Bergelmir wrote:

I can confirm this, it is indeed Houghton Mifflin who was unable to provide the original maps.
These have been redrawn but, to my knowledge, these new maps were made by French artists, so I am surprised to find them in the Brazilian edition. I will try to find out !

Independently, a lot of French publications are coming in the fall so if you are interested people, I can give you a complete summary.

Just curious, did the French artists make corrections? I sent Houghton Mifflin a long list of errata when they were thinking of a new edition and I’m curious if that is still around.

Also - would love to see the new French editions shared here, definitely!
19 Jul, 2022
2022-7-19 2:45:12 PM UTC
These new maps look exquisite.
19 Jul, 2022
2022-7-19 3:04:32 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Just curious, did the French artists make corrections? I sent Houghton Mifflin a long list of errata when they were thinking of a new edition and I’m curious if that is still around.

Also - would love to see the new French editions shared here, definitely!

I wrote to one of the people who worked on the book. I'll let you know if she answers me and I learn something interesting.

Now that my site is online (and even if I have to redo all the photos of the French part), I plan to make photos and videos of all the next French releases so you should be delighted
19 Jul, 2022
2022-7-19 4:38:54 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Could you share the errata so we can correct them in the forthcoming Chinese edition?
BTW, I heard the Chinese ed will use the original maps.
16 Aug, 2022
2022-8-16 12:16:10 AM UTC
Wondering if I missed something: is a new ordinary (English language) edition of Fonstad's Atlas on the way? (Amazon is a bit muddled on what a "new" edition might be - as well as whether JRRT's last name belongs in the title).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us