Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

19 Feb, 2007
2007-2-19 10:01:25 PM UTC
I saw the same sellout then reappearance, I think that is why I just assumed it was a second (revised) printing. It seems odd that they would have unbound sheets of the one volume edition laying around, but certainly possible.

Has anyone bought the deluxe UK edition from a new retailer (Daeron's, Amazon, but not Rown's, all my copies are from the first wave) in the last seven months (and opened it) that can confirm if the copyright page says anything different?

It seems odd that a public company like HarperCollins (subsidiary of News Corp.) would hold on to books or sheets in some warehouse at some considerable cost for marketing purposes. Hard to justify to stockholders. If they weren't selling well, perhaps they stopped distributing for a while to build up demand again?
27 Feb, 2007
2007-2-27 12:12:05 AM UTC
Regarding the currently available "Deluxe" LOTR from Amazon UK..... I have purchased one myself within the last month. (Quick side note: I paid 70 pounds sterling for it. Before I received the book, the price dropped briefly to 65 pounds. I contacted Amazon, and they were very happy to refund the difference. They are very easy to deal with and are always quite resposive to emails.) I had originally intended on keeping the book in its shrinkwrap, but unfortunately, the book arrived with the shrinkwrap torn open and the spine of the book was damaged. Amazon immediately sent a replacement copy at no charge (which thankfully arrived in perfect shape), and gave me 30 days to return the damaged book (at their expense!). To make a very long story short, I was able to see the copyright page, since the book was already opened. It was a second printing of the 2004 deluxe edition. So, it is likely that the initial sellout was the first printing. The first printing may have been limited to 2500 copies, but by not marketing it as a limited edition, it left the door open to subsequent printings. Although the discounted price will not get you a first printing, it is still a very nice book, and I think well worth the money. I have also purchased the Deluxe Hobbit, but have not yet opened it to confirm the print run. I'm very much looking forward to the Children of Hurin Deluxe edition. Somehow, we need to convince Harper Collins to print a matching Deluxe Simarillion. My shelf will just not look right with that piece missing!
27 Feb, 2007
2007-2-27 8:21:31 AM UTC
In my interview with Dan Brawn I did not exactly figure out which Silmarillion he is planning for September. I made some hints to see if it would match the current Hobbit and Lotr and soon to arrive Children of Hurin. He just said something like we have not decided yet if a celebration edition will be made, so let us see what will be decided there first.
But somehow i'm sure the plans are already made and he will let me know all about it later this year. He know wants the focus on Children of Hurin...

By the way, I also found out we will get a reprint of Mr.Bliss AND a hardback version of Tales of Perilious Realms. Gonne be nice edition, with new images, since i don't know more yet I just keep info at this.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us